23. One Step At A Time

February 12th, 2010
10:48 AM
Serenity POV

"I'm not leaving until you tell Jill," Mama said as we sat in my office at The Wright Steps NYC. I sighed, rolling my eyes a little. I should have never told her about what Dr. Tate said.

"I don't think putting pressure on me is healthy," I stated.

"Serenity, stop stalling." I huffed.

"She's probably in class."

"Okay? So text her and tell her you need to talk to her. I'm not leaving until she knows. You need somebody out here who'll be able to check on you and keep your spirits up."

"Bey knows," I pointed out and she gave me a look.

"Beyoncé also is still a newlywed and about to end a world tour. She cares for you, but baby you need somebody on the same level as you to be there for you. Now text Jill." I sighed again, grabbing my phone from out of my drawer and unlocking it. I went to me and Jill's messages and hesitantly sent her a message.

I need 2 talk 2 u about something important.

I put my phone down and looked back at mama when I was finished.

"So what time are you leaving?" She smirked, sitting back in her seat.

"When that conversation happens." I rolled my eyes.

"Don't you have work to do and three kids to get back to?" I asked plainly. However, I didn't really want mama to leave. The entire week we spent together had been the best I felt since before the miscarriage. I was afraid once she left, I'd go back to feeling super depressed. So I guess it was a good idea to be forced to tell somebody else.

At least I hoped it was.

"Speaking of work," Mama said, ignoring me. "I've been meaning to run this by you. I think this'll be good for you, it'll keep you out of the apartment. It'll also get you back moving because when is the last time you danced?" I pursed my lips. It had been too long. Maybe since I choreographed 'Video Phone'. "Your daddy is releasing a game, something like 'Just Dance'."

"You want me to choreograph for some of the songs?" I asked.

"Please?" She asked, then she shook her head. "Matter of fact, ain't no please. You're doing it. I need you to get back into the groove of things. I need you to get back to doing what you love, to start living life again. I'll let you pick the songs though." I snickered.

"Well since I don't have a choice," I stated and she nodded. "Is there a certain list or any song from daddy's discography?"

"Knowing Michael, he's struggling to make a list, with his picky, indecisive, perfectionist ass." I snickered. She didn't have to do him like that. "So you pick whatever songs you like, and I'll talk to your father and see what he would like to incorporate." I nodded. "I want at least one dance by next Friday."

"Between you and Dr. Tate, yall want a lot," I mumbled as my phone vibrated. I grabbed it, seeing Jillian replied.

"I gotta give you a deadline or you won't do it, will you?" I didn't respond to her as I read Jill's text.

When & where?

I thought for a moment before responding.

My apartment, 6 o'clock.

I put my phone down, taking a breath.

I did not want to do this. Telling people 'oh, I had a miscarriage' was not something I wanted to talk about. What person wants to talk about something they're ashamed of? I looked at mama, who was already staring at me. She placed her hand on the desk, reaching for mine. I put my hand in hers and she squeezed it softly.