XXI - Regroup

5 months later

  Nothing had changed other than being happy doing my job peacefully. My colleagues were nice and I could not complain about my boss either. It was all going well until something changed my routine. Someone.

It was just another ordinary day at work. I would start my days by drinking coffee at the company's cafeteria, then go to the office, have my lunch break later on, work some more and go home. That was my typical routine.

That day, while coming back from my lunch break, I got in the elevator as usual and as it reached the next floor, I noticed someone stepping in. I was checking the company's social media profiles as I was working on them that day, so I wasn't paying attention to who that was. I said "good afternoon" to be polite, but never looking at the person.

"Still using the same perfume" I heard the man saying making me look up at him.

The man was Matt Murdock. I suddenly got butterflies all over my stomach as soon as I saw that smile for the first time in months. What could I possibly say after that unexpected meeting?

I spent all those months focused on myself and my new job. I did not want to think about men, specially him and anything that could remind me of Dylan and the whole case. I even stayed away from my friends, not because I stopped liking them, but because I needed a break from everyone and everything.

"Hi. What are you doing here?" I said the first thing that came to my mind after a moment of silence.

"I missed you too" he laughed.

"Thanks? I guess"

"I see that you're not very happy to see me... not in a literal way, of course. 'Cause- I'm- You know. I can't really see" he said trying to make me laugh. "Sorry. Just so you know, I had no idea that you worked here"

"You always know everything"

"Not this time, I promise"

"So what are you doing here?" I asked as we both stepped out of the elevator.

"I have a meeting. I am still a lawyer"

"I figured. As long as I don't end up in court over a company again, it's all good"

He laughed "I don't think you have to worry about that"

"Mr. Murdock?"  I heard my boss saying from behind me. "Ava, don't forget to do what we talked about this morning" she told me after approaching us.

My boss took Matt to one of the meeting rooms of the company while I went back to my workplace in another room to continue what I had to do.

  Later that day, I went back home wondering about what Matt was possibly doing there and why. Truth is that I did not care about that. I guess I was only thinking about him uncontrollably. He was in my mind again like the old days.

I tried my best not to call him even though I missed him badly. I grabbed my phone from my pocket to order some Chinese food for myself and my phone began ringing with a call from him. Seemed like we were still connected to each other to the point of thinking about doing the same thing. I answered it.

"Hey, Ava. It was nice to see you again today"

"Yeah, you too, Matt. It's been a while"