XIX - Another League

I woke up the day after with a call from Nadia in the morning. She wanted to apologise and make some plans to hangout with Sarah and I. That made me happy. It was good to have my friends back.

That was also the day I had a job interview to attend and I did, which went very well. Better than expected. They offered me a place at the company to work as a Digital Designer. The same position I had at my previous job. The one that brought all that drama to me and Matt Murdock to my life.

He didn't say a word all day. I went out with the girls to a night club later in the evening as they invited me, I really missed being with them and we had to celebrate. I do not think I had the time and effort to think about him anymore, but I had it to dress up real nice and fancy.

"How are things going with Matthew?" Sarah asked.

"It's complicated" I said.

"It doesn't have to be, does it?"

"He is not an easy person to deal with"

"We need to find you another guy, then" Nadia said trying to make me smile.

"I think I'm okay by myself"

"Boring"

"You're single too Nadia!" Sarah said.

"Yeah, I know! I play in a different league, it's a lot easier for you to impress a guy than it is for me to impress a girl"

"That's not true" I said. "Okay, fine. Maybe just a little"

"That boy over there is cute, maybe you should go and say hi" Sarah said pointing at a guy sat by the counter of the club's bar.

"No way, girls. I'm not going anywhere"

"Just go there, order us some drinks and say hi" Nadia insisted.

"I'll order the drinks, but like I said, I am good. I don't need a man in my life"

  Not sure how obvious it was, but I still liked Matt. It was hard to forget someone who had so much in common, who knew how to make me feel the happiest person in the world and who I believed to be my soulmate. However, I had to remember how things between us couldn't work and how he'd hurt me as well. I had to put myself first.

"Hey, can I pay you a drink?" the cute guy asked me interrupting my thoughts.

"Hi, uh- That's very nice of you, but I am actually buying drinks to my friends and-"

"It's okay, I can pay their drinks too"

"No, don't worry about that"

"I insist"

"Thank you-"

"You can call me Joe"

"I am Ava"

"That's a beautiful name" he said making me smile.

  Although I didn't want to look and turn my back on Joe, I could still hear Sarah and Foggy's voice behind me from not a long distant.

"Didn't I tell you to come by yourself, Foggy? They're not on good terms"

"Matt insisted he wanted to come as well, what did you want me to do?"

  From what I could understand, Matt was on his way to the bar.

"Sorry, did I say something wrong?" Joe asked me concerned after noticing how I suddenly changed my mood.

"No! Not at all! Let me just bring these two drinks to my friends and- Actually, would you like to join us?"