"Xiao Kang."

"Sir," Kang answered.

"K'eon McNeil."

"Sir," K'eon answered.

"Tony Melton."

"Sir," Melton answered.

"And finally, Chad Williams."

"Sir," Lieutenant Williams answered.

"Good. Now, morning watch said the day has been kind of—"

"NOOO!" Everyone screamed.

"—quiet—"

"Aww, come on!" Frye groaned.

"Seriously?" Greer whined.

"Great, now it's gonna be a total shit show," Kang muttered.

"Quiet!" Chief Jackson called out over the clamor
of protests. "I don't care what your superstitions are, I just wanna get this meeting over with, can we do that?"

"Yes, Chief," everyone groaned in unison.

"Thank you. Again, morning watch said the day has been...slow...so keep on your toes. They also have asked me to remind you that we have to share the beds here so if you could refrain from..." Chief Jackson rolled his eyes and cleared his throat. "...masturbation if you don't intend on changing the bed sheets or, and I quote, 'do it in the shower like normal people.'"

"Yeah, Bennett," Harris teased, making the room full with laughter.

"Harris," Chief Jackson warned. "It's exactly comments like that that has you up before the review committee. Keep it up and you'll give them more than enough ammunition to terminate you." Harris rolled his eyes in response.

"Anyways...I'd also like to inform everyone that this weekend is K'eon's and Zahra's fitness exam. If they pass, they're firefighters."

"If they pass," Harris muttered to himself, but Chief Jackson didn't hear him.

"I'm sure everyone will join me in wishing you two the best of luck." A loud beep filled the building causing everyone to fall silent.

"Truck 24, dumpster fire. 55 West 14th Street." Dispatch announced on the overhead speakers.

"Okay guys, apartment dumpster fire. Get to it." Kang, Greer, Frye, and Jiménez got up from their seats and rushed out towards the truck. "Everyone else, you're dismissed." Everyone got up and made their way out the door. "Not you two." K'eon and I instantly stopped in our tracks. "Shut the door." I let out a quiet sigh and shut the door before we turned to Chief Jackson.

"Chief, about earlier—" I began.

"It's my fault, Chief," K'eon butted in. "Harris was giving her a hard time and it rubbed me the wrong way."

"What part of Harris rubs anyone the right way?" Chief Jackson smirked. "Still, that kind of behavior does not belong in my house, is that understood?"

"Yes, Chief," K'eon nodded.

"Okay. You two ready?"

"Yes, Chief," K'eon and I said in unison.

"It's not too late to turn back." K'eon and I glanced at each other in confusion. "What I mean is—you two haven't exactly explained why you wanna be firefighters." Chief looked between K'eon and I before turning his attention back to K'eon. "Why do you wanna be a fireman?"

"I—I want to help people," K'eon answered.

"And you can't do that as a paramedic?"

"I can...but when I'm at the scene of a fire, I wish I could help more. I feel helpless until they're ready for us to step in...I wanna do more." Chief Jackson nodded and turned to me.