Who will die?

Xavier did not answer my call. I decided that I did all in my power to restore the connection with him. It was his choice not to communicate so I had no intention to impose.

I was discharged from the hospital so I returned to my room in Nevermore. Thing said it was lonely without Enid. There was no one to bother me with loud music or talking on phone. The bright colours which usually caused the desire to scratch my eyes out became pale and it was the first time when I did not enjoy it.

I fell asleep and had a nightmare again. I saw a lot of weird creatures in Nevermore. They haunted students.

I saw Xavier, Tyler, Enid, Ajax and Bianca. My friends were fighting ugly creatures. They had human body skeletons but the difference was in heads. Creatures had skulls of horses, crocodiles, lions, etc. But the main monster was the largest and the most powerful. "Alastor" - I heard Goody's voice. He was a skinny tall demon with red hair and eyes. His yellow teeth were sharpened and a scary smile had never left his hideous muzzle. He had arms with tremendous claws. I saw someone behind his back.

Suddenly the picture changed and I sprang up in front of Alastor. The demon clawed me and threw my body away.
"No!" - I screamed.

I woke up because someone was calling my name and shaking me by shoulders.
- Wednesday! That was a nightmare!
I eagerly grabbed air just like I have not breathed for ages.

I recognised Xavier in the midnight darkness.

- I died, - I said looking ahead of myself.
- You are alive, you are here, in your room, - Xavier sat on my bed.
- What are you doing here? - I got up out of bed. My voice was cold. I texted Xavier, even called him. He did not answer and now he was standing in front of me as if nothing had happened.
- I lost my phone. When I got a new one I called to the hospital. They said you were discharged. Then Ava told me the story about the Hyde in the hospital. I was worried. So I came to you to talk in person. When I got to the balcony I heard you screaming. The window was open so I got inside to help you.

The explanation was satisfactory.

- I hope Tyler is still under psychiatric treatment, - said Xavier after some pause.
- He is. But it is not because he is a psycho. Rosenberg had to do this to please a new sheriff.
- You are protecting Tyler. Who is he for you? Is he your boyfriend?
- Who is Ava? - I answered with a question. - I bet she is dying to date you.
- I have never let her near me, - Xavier was standing in front of me.
- Especially when you kissed her in your art studio, - Xavier felt sarcasm in my words.
- I didn't.
- I found a note from you near my typewriter when you brought it back from your art studio. In the note it was stated that you wanted to talk to me. I came and saw you with Ava.
- Wednesday, I did bring you the typewriter. But I have never left you notes. Why should I do that if I can text you? - Xavier made a pause and then continued. - Ava's hobby is taking photos. That night she brought me a couple of pics that I could paint. And I have never kissed Ava. She wanted this. I admit it. But that has never happened.
- No guarantee it will not happen in the future.
- Sounds like you are jealous.
- I am not, - I stepped forward. My voice was louder then I expected.
- And I am. I am jealous that you are spending time with Tyler, the guy who almost killed you last semester. - Xavier got closer to me. He was getting angry.
- It is not your business with whom I spend my time! - one more step from my side.
- Wow! Then what right do you have to say to me that I can't spend time with Ava? Because you like me? - Xavier took a few steps so his face was just in several centimeters from mine.

I kissed him. He kissed me back.

Both Xavier's hands were holding my face. I put my palms on his chest. It felt like something that had to happen.

Suddenly I got a vision. What a deja vu.

I saw exactly what I just had in my nightmare. There were a lot of creatures in Nevermore including Alastor. But this time in front of the demon was Xavier. He was clawed by Alastor and thrown away.

I opened my eyes. I was laying on the floor in Xavier's arms.
- What did you see?
- Not you killing people, - Xavier did not appreciate my reference.

I told Xavier just the beginning of my vision omitting the fact that he died in the end.

- Your nose is bleeding again, - Xavier lifted me up ignoring my protest and carried to the bed. In a minute he was wiping my blood. - Is there anything else that I need to know?

I saw Xavier's death in my vision and I was scared. But I have always been good at concealing my true emotions so I told him my conclusions about Bianca and Yoko. Xavier was silent for a minute but then said:
- Something doesn't add up. The fact that Yoko is a vampire and the last person whom Enid remembers doesn't make her guilty. Bianca and Yoko have no motive to harm you, Enid or the sheriff. They are your friends. But even if Bianca and Yoko are your stalkers and Yoko drank sheriff's blood, why did she not do the same from very beginning? Why did Yoko not do the same to Enid? Two different pictures of crimes.
- Agree. Usually serial killers stick to their own style. Does that mean that we have the murderers who acted independently?
- I assume that Enid and the sheriff were attacked by the same person because the wounds were similar. But could Rosenberg order a vampire to finish the sheriff and why?

I did not reply because the answer to this question was still unknown.

- How often do you have nightmares? - asked Xavier.
- Almost every night.
- Do you want me to stay?
I was silent for some time and then answered:
- I just would not mind.

Xavier smiled slightly and lay near me looking at my eyes. He was stroking my cheek. I remembered what I saw in the vision and shivered.
- Did you get cold? - Xavier got surprised. He covered me with a blanket. Xavier did not know that not a low temperature but a fear for him was freezing me.
I have got two versions of the same situation. In my nightmare I was the person who died. In my vision died Xavier. Which version will come true? Who between us will die?

____________
I was writing this chapter listening to "Ava" by Natalie Jane :)