Just to get warm

Happy New Year!

I wish you all the best in 2023!
Hope you will enjoy this chapter.

Love,
Oryna
______________

I saw the dark creatures around me. They all had horns and big bloody eyes. They wanted me. They were getting close to me. I tried to fight them with a sword but the number of those creatures was just getting bigger.

I opened my eyes. I felt sweat on my forehead:
- Hey, - I heard a familiar voice.
The space around was blurry and too much light that made me squint. For several minutes I could barely see what and who was in the room. It was very cold so I shivered. The only part of my body that stayed warm was my right palm because someone's hands were covering it. I recognised Xavier:
- It was a nightmare, - he said. - You are safe. - I looked at Xavier's face. He smiled slightly, but the shadows under Xavier's eyes were evidence that the last days were not the happiest ones in his life. It looked like he did not sleep for a long time.
- Enid, - I said quietly.
- She's been in the emergency room for several days. But she is alive and she will be ok, - Xavier squeezed my hand. - And you will be ok.
- What's wrong with me?
- Not taking into account that you almost sank, you've got a pneumonia.
I remembered how Xavier kissed my forehead after he performed a heart massage:
- You saved me, - I looked at Xavier's eyes. - Thank you.

He looked at me seriously and said after a short pause:

- I am happy that you are all right. As much as it can be now.
- Where is Tyler? - I asked. Xavier turned his eyes away.
- Now Tyler is with his father, but he visits you time to time, - Xavier pointed on the vase with black roses on the table.
- How is Ajax? - I continued asking questions. Not satisfactory state of health was not an excuse for being out of the loop.
- He's been with Enid as long as I've been with you.
- And how long have you been with me?
- Almost three days. You were brought to the hospital on Friday's evening. Today is Sunday's afternoon.
- Have you slept?
- Only in this room... in the chair.
- You need to sleep.
- Don't push me away.
- I don't. I'm... - I stopped myself.
- What?
- I am just filled with a dismay that you have not slept for a long time, - initially I wanted to say "I am worried about you".
- And I am filled with a dismay that you nearly died. That is why I am here.
- I feel splendid, - then I started coughing very hard.
- I see, - Xavier looked at me with sorrow. I detest when people look at me like that. - Enid's parents and your parents will get here tomorrow. There are railway strikes two days in a raw. Or they will find an alternative way to get here.
- I need to see Enid, - I started getting up, but Xavier stopped me.
- As I already said that she is in the emergency room. Nobody except her family is allowed to be there. Ajax is her boyfriend so he got the permission. What is more, doctors said that it's better for you to stay in bed when you wake up. If you need anything you can always ask me to bring it to you.
- I want chocolate, - I said after a short pause.
- Sure, - Xavier looked satisfied. - Dark, white, milk?
I answered with a glimpse "You should know the answer". Xavier got it and added:
- Dark, of course. That was a silly question. I'll come back in a bit.
Xavier left the room and that was my chance to see Enid. I took out a catheter out of my vein.
It was not an easy task to get up. At first, my muscles refused to obey, but I made them work. First steps were a torture, but the pain gave me strength to move forward.
It was easy to find the emergency rooms because I had already seen their location when Tyler and I brought his father to the hospital.
I sneaked into Enid's emergency room. When I entered, I saw Ajax who was holding Enid's hand. I turned to me and I could see transparent paths on his cheeks. When Ajax saw me, he wiped his face:
- Wednesday, what are you doing here? How do you feel?
- Good, - that was the only answer that so could give then. I was looking at Enid. Her skin was as pale as a sheet she was lying on. Dark shadows under Enid's eyes contrasted with it. Her hair which used to be shiny seemed grey. There were a copious number of bruises and scratches all over her body. There was a wound in her belly. Enid seemed almost dead.
- I will give you time, - Ajax left the room. I sat near Enid and took her hand. Suddenly I noticed the words I could not read in the well that evening. I turned Enid's wrist and read: "W, you should be afraid of me. S".