Chapter 31

The familiar cries could be heard from the room down the hall. In other households, such noises would be further away, emanating from a more distant room. But Cassia was not happy at such a prospect, wishing the babies to be nearby. And so, Guy had grown accustomed to such nightly disturbances.

He stirred, lifting his head at the sound. He was well aware of another who would hear those cries as well – and respond to them at any moment. He turned to look at her.

He and Cassia were allowed to share their bed again, though they merely slept in it and nothing more. Agatha's warning was always there in the back of his mind, reminding him of the limitations he had set for himself. It was not so easy, lying beside her every night, hearing the little noises she made in her sleep – Lord, the woman was ever the temptation! But he maintained his discipline, and prided himself on it. He could hold her, at least, and wake to find her at his side.

If only she would remain there.

Despite his protests, she would rise and go to the children's room immediately, without waiting for their nurse or Agatha to tend to them. Always at some moment during the night, he would feel the weight of the bed shift. She always tried to slip away quietly, perhaps hoping that he would not notice. But he did notice. Occasionally he would just let her go, pretending to sleep so she could have her way.

She was going now. He saw her slipping from the bed, putting on her robe. Leaning over, he reached out to grasp her hand.

"You must rest," he insisted. "Claudia is capable of seeing to them during the night."

She sighed. "I know, but I must go to them. I cannot help my feelings."

Sitting up, still holding her hand, he made her sit and listen as he spoke softly.

"Beloved, they have servants to see to their needs. You shall spoil them if constantly you rush to their side."

She sighed. "If to love my children is to ruin them, then so be it. But I cannot contain what is in my heart."

She would go, no matter what he said. And as he had done so many times before, he rose and put on his shirt, following her down the hall as she went.

Claudia was there at the cradle, picking up Thea - the shortened name they now called her by. While Cassia took William in her arms, Guy came to Claudia's side.

"We shall take them in with us," he said to her. "Go back to bed." Taking Thea, he put her against his shoulder, following Cassia out. He had grown confident in handling his daughter. More so, he supposed, than a man was supposed to be. But he found pride in the task. And pleasure.

Back in the room, he sat next to Cassia on the bed, watching as she put William to her breast. They had performed this ritual many times before, and it never ceased to amaze him. It was quite moving to behold her with their children, loving and nursing them. She spoke quietly over the sounds of the baby suckling. Looking at him, she smiled.

"Many men would find this practice revolting to witness," she whispered. "I am pleased that it seems you do not."

He looked back at her, pride in his eyes. "Most men find the entire matter of children and motherhood to be revolting. But I find it quite fascinating. Of course, no one must ever know of this. You will not let on, will you wife?"

Cassia laughed softly as they switched children.

"I will say nothing, my love. I promise. But if you think to disguise your affection for your children, you will not succeed in that. It is clear already that you adore your offspring."

It was true, of course. While she nursed Thea, he held William up, looking at him.

"Do you suppose they know who I am?"