Chapter 29

On the steps of the church, three figures stood before the priest. Guy on the right, Cassia on the left - and Stephen between them, prepared to give his sister in matrimony. The priest began, speaking - in Latin - to the three before him and to the great crowd gathered behind them.

"We are gathered together here in the sight of God and his bounty of angels to join together this man and this woman in a binding of life; it is an honorable estate, ordained in paradise, and into which holy estate these two persons present come now to be bound...

Guy could hardly understand the words being spoken. His mind was too overwhelmed by the sight of the woman standing before him. Only by the slightest understanding was he able to keep up with the proceedings.

"Guy of Gisborne, wilt thou have this woman to be thy wedded wife, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health; and forsaking all others, keep thee only unto her, so long as ye both shall live?"

Guy nodded obediently. "I will."

I will. His heart beat wildly in his chest. He soon felt the sensation of her soft hand in his as he slid the ring onto her finger. Only a brief time after, she was doing the same – her slight fingers placing the wedding band on his ring finger. The priest spoke...

"Let us pray." All heads bowed in reverence. "O Eternal God, creator and preserver of all mankind, giver of all spiritual grace, the author of everlasting life; Send thy blessing upon these thy servants, this man and this woman, whom we bless in thy name. That, as Isaac and Rebecca lived faithfully together, so these persons may surely perform and keep the vow and covenant betwixt them made, where of this ring given and received is a token and pledge, and may ever hereafter remain in perfect love and peace together, and live according to thy laws; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

The priest joined their hands together. "Those whom God hath joined together let no man put asunder." Then he spoke to the crowd. "For as much as Guy and Cassia have consented together in holy wedlock, and have witnessed the same before God and this company, and thereto have given and pledged their troth each to the other, and have declared the same by giving and receiving of a ring, and by joining of hands, I pronounce therefore that they be man and wife together, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

With a few more words, all was done. The priest turned them to the crowd, and as they kissed one another, a great round of applause and cheering went up - at long last announcing them, officially, as husband and wife.

*****

He could not keep his eyes from her. He was aware that many glances were being cast their way. Morality dictated that a bride and groom should not be excessively eager for one another. But no one else knew the power she possessed - how she could make him weak with only a look. Or even without a look. Just watching her as she sipped her drink, the delicate way her mouth touched the rim of her goblet, it made his heart beat fast - and he fought the impulse to knock the cup from her hand, to yank her into his arms and taste the wine that was shining on her lips.

If only they could get away from all of the noise and commotion of the wedding celebration. It was all pointless spectacle, anyway. These kinds of feasts were simply an excuse for nobles to gather together, to gorge themselves on food and to drink themselves into a stupor. If he and Cassia had been penniless and without rank, they would have had a brief celebration with neighbors and friends, and then gotten on with things. It was one of the few times in his life he wished he weren't a nobleman. Then he would not be enduring these formalities, and he would be celebrating in true fashion by being in the loving arms of his wife.