Chapter 21

Do not resist, Guy thought. Maintaining your senses is vital to survival.

Even as he felt the first internal stirrings of panic, he forced himself to be indifferent - knowing that if he acted out, his anger would be a clear indication of his guilt. As he was escorted to Briewere's chamber, he had an eerie sense of deja-vu – recalling the very first time he'd been presented to his uncle.

But almost nothing was the same. No longer was he that frightened boy – and the only genuine fear he felt at that moment was his concern for Cassia. He was prepared for the worst. Whatever happened, he was determined that she would be protected – someway, somehow. Whatever occurred, he was prepared to endure anything, come what may.

The moment that he came to stand before Briewere, he made his anger known – even though his voice was cold and calm.

"For what crime am I being detained?"

His uncle wore a slight sneer. "Well, nephew. It seems you have been busy these last few days - taking up with a known pagan, have we?"

Guy let out a breath of frustration, averting his eyes. "I know nothing of which you speak."

"One of my men has been frequenting a whore who claims otherwise."

A sneer curled on Guy's lips. "Your man and his whore do not speak the truth. I have no connection to any woman, let alone one who would dare to be associated with paganism. Such lies are deliberate falsehoods."

The bishop took a step forward - his eyes holding a familiar look of accusation. "Guy of Gisborne, it is said that you have been intimate with a fallen woman – one from a family long suspected of illicit behavior. You are hereby accused of heresy. Do you deny the charge?"

Guy lifted his chin with a stubborn stance – looking his accuser straight in the eye. "I do deny it, your grace."

A silent moment of tension passed – and it ended with a disgusted snort from the sheriff.

"You are a fool, Gisborne. Did I not long ago warn you about the trappings of women? Now it seems that your indiscretions have come back to haunt you - taking the shape of the trollop you recently sacked. It seems she was quite upset about your dismissal."

Guy felt himself hit by a sensation of shock – quickly followed by a wave of bitter anger as realization and understanding came over him. Alice, he said to himself. Obviously, the scheming wench had not recovered from his rejection of her – and she had chosen a typical female way of getting back at him.

The vindictive little bitch!

But he was careful to conceal his emotions - particularly those possibly giving evidence in his voice. With a slight shrug, he spoke with a calm response.

"What has some discarded doxy to do with any of this? You know as well as I do that all women are deceitful liars."

To that, Briewere nodded. "Tis true, tis true. But somehow, I suspect that there is some manner of truth in the tale."

Guy watched as the sheriff stepped aside for a moment – taking on a familiar habit of putting his hands behind his back and clasping his own wrists together. He was calculating something in his mind; Guy could see the wheels turning. Unable to hold his tongue, he subtly prodded for a clue to his uncle's thoughts.

"You believe the lies of a whore?"

The reply was cold – the brief glimpse of a smile gone. "When one smells the scent of smoke, there is likely to be flame nearby."

Guy sighed. "The wench was discharged because she was a schemer and a dishonor upon my household. It is known that she frequents the bed of many a man – and she is likely riddled with disease because of her habits. If she is bitter because of my rejection, then so be it. She is nothing to me."