Chapter 2

It was Sunday night – the last hours of the sabbath. The family had returned from church less than an hour before – Vespers being said just before sunset. Kneeling near her pallet in the upper hay loft, Cassia said the last of her nightly prayers. Despite Lucinda's personal beliefs, Lucas DeWarren remained true to his late wife's devotion to Catholicism, and his children were expected to honor their mother by keeping to that faith. Crossing herself as she rose, Cassia moved to her bed and tried to settle into it - as any obedient child was expected to do at days' end.

But she soon began to shiver from the cold. The autumn was beautiful to look at during the day, but she could now remember why Stephen cursed cold weather. The draft seeped in through every nook and cranny. The heat from the fire was so limited, most of it escaping through the clay pipe that went up and through the thatched roof. Soon enough the fire would burn down to embers, leaving the entire house quite cold and its inhabitants expected to endure until the morning. Seeking warmth, Cassia made her way down the ladder and to seek the arms of Lucinda, who was seated before the fire with a pile of sewing. With a smile, she put her work aside as Cassia climbed into a place beside her – and as Lucinda took the blanket from her lap and wrapped them both in it, Cassia snuggled against her. Lucinda's voice was firm but kind.

"You should be in bed, child."

Cassia sighed. "I am cold. I cannot sleep."

Lucinda wore a cross with a tiny amethyst embedded in its center. Removing it, she draped it over Cassia's head and placed it around her neck.

"Do you know of amethysts, child?"

Cassia nodded and smiled. She had always admired the necklace. It had belonged to her mother, and she looked down at it now with fascination, holding the cross with her fingers.

"Put it under your pillow," Lucinda said, "And it will bring you pleasant dreams. It will also bring you spiritual wisdom and protect you from harm. And if you hang it from the nearest window-space in the moonlight, it will bring peace to the household."

A dreamy, pleasant smile came to Cassia's lips. Closing her eyes, she felt herself falling asleep. She felt Lucinda's gentle hands caressing her back. But a sudden knock on the door startled them both. Lucinda turned her head towards the sound, her tone harsh.

"Who the devil can that be in the dark of night?"

It was Stephen who approached the door first, gripping the handle of his dagger in preparation for any danger that might be coming. Lucas followed behind, carrying a candle in one hand and a heavy mace in the other. One could never tell what mischief was lurking in the dark. Stephen stood poised, ready for action.

"Who is it?" he demanded.

A voice came from the other side – one that was quite familiar to all of them.

"It is I. Robin of Locksley."

Cassia saw the look of displeasure that crossed Lucinda's face. She had never had a good opinion of the young baron from Locksley. He was a handsome young man, to be sure. Blond-haired, hazel-eyed, and lean but muscular, he was a favorite among most of the residents of both Yorkshire and Nottingham, especially the ladies. He was also a champion archer and swordsman. But Lucinda had never liked him, often calling him an arrogant and foolish young whelp. But he and Stephen had grown up together. They were the same age, and both were eager to achieve their ranks of knighthood. Stephen welcomed him in - as he always did.

"Robin!" he greeted him with a smile and a handshake. "What brings you here, and under the cover of darkness? Come, let us sit and talk over a cup of ale."

Cassia watched the two of them together, sitting at the table bench - her curiosity strong as she observed them. They were always in some scheme together, for better or for worse. Once, she recalled, the two of them had been caught throwing vegetables at people from a rooftop. She had only been a tiny girl of four at the time, but she could still remember the sound whipping that Stephen had received. So, what were they up to now? She would learn nothing, she discovered, as Lucinda gave her a firm but gentle push back towards her bed.

The Beekeeperजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें