Chapter 24

Six weeks later

Late May

Standing at the window of his room at an inn, Guy looked out at the starry night. Rochefort was a lovely seaside town, and its citizens were quite generous and welcoming. But he wished to be gone from the place as soon as possible. He had managed a brief sleep. But now he was fully awake, eager for the dawn.

The days and months of the journey were at last coming to an end. Just at sunset, they had stopped for the night. And they had learned that Bordeaux was but a day's ride south. He had hoped to stay just long enough for a meal and to rest the horses. But Agatha had other ideas...and of course, she had told him so.

"Heavens, boy! Allow an old woman a night's rest. Besides, you cannot travel in the dark – unless you wish to be set upon by bandits and other vagabonds."

She was right, of course. It would have been foolish – perhaps even dangerous – to attempt nocturnal travel. And so he had relented.

But he was not at all pleased by the prospect of another delay.

Crossing the channel from England to France had taken more than a week. And then, there had been the long and tedious journey from north to south - a journey of more than five-hundred miles. It had been a series of frustrating misadventures as well. But all was behind them now – except for one obstacle still remaining. In truth, there were two.

"Do not be so hasty, Gisborne. Stephen will not welcome you with open arms. And Edwin may very well try to kill you at first sight. You must be on your guard."

This was true, he realized. He smiled slightly, thinking of how Agatha had become not only his companion, but his closest advisor. Her logic was wise. To barge in like a madman, and without warning? It would be foolish, indeed. It was better to wait until daylight...

And as soon as the first rays of light graced the sky, he intended to depart immediately, with Agatha at his side.

I am coming, beloved. Soon, we will be together once more...

*****

The grounds of the manor were more than their grand appearance let one to believe. There was an abundance of nature everywhere. The orchard, in particular, was large and teeming with olive and fig trees, persimmon and pears, and blood orange trees. Cassia would have relished having the knowledge of such blessings – were it not for her endless sorrow. The only comfort she found was being in the company of Rosalyn. Together, they had taken to walking along the seashore, talking as they went.

On a sunny Sunday morning, they strolled together along the beach. They had just come from Mass, but it was not the first time that day that Cassia had visited the church. Lately, she had spent most of her time there. To Rosalyn, Cassia spoke mournfully of her concerns. Her eyes were misty with tears, as they had been so often of late.

"Do you think perhaps the Almighty cursed me – that my child was lost as penance for me sins?"

Rosalyn's answer was immediate.

"The Almighty does not needlessly condemn the innocent. He would certainly not seek vengeance on the unborn."

Cassia swallowed a lump in her throat. She wanted to believe it was true – to have the great and unshakeable confidence that her sister-in-law possessed. But doubt hovered over her like a cloud.

"Then tell me," she said - "Why have I lost my child?"

Ever gentle, Rosalyn answered with her own manner of wisdom.

"Perhaps your babe was unwell. And in his mercy, the Lord called him home to heaven."

Cassia thought of the possibility – considering it for a long moment. As a brief space of time went by, she was briefly unable to respond. Since losing the baby, she had mostly shut herself away in grief – and all the while, she had asked herself...