Chapter 22

The ship listed forward suddenly. From her bunk, seated as she was, she managed to remain upright – and yet the sudden movement succeeded in once again causing her insides to quake. Reaching for the basin, she lost what little her stomach had been able to keep down. The ocean was unforgiving in its actions.

But seasickness was not the sole cause of her misery.

She was with child. Somehow, she was certain of it. The morning of their arrival in Portsmouth – after nearly three days on the road - she had been overcome by waves of nausea. It had ceased by evening, but had returned again the next day near dawn. When her illness carried on into a third day, Stephen was adamant about fetching a doctor to examine her – but she outright refused, threatening to do herself harm if a physician came anywhere near her. Stephen relented, and for several days, her health seemed to improve.

But something inside of her - some deep internal instinct - told her that she carried Guy of Gisborne's child. And despite her illness – despite the misery of the journey and the daunting prospect of being moved to a foreign land, her heart was overflowing with joy, knowing she literally carried a part of him with her.

If only Stephen was not a constant presence.

The door to the cabin opened slowly, and Cassia turned her back to the sound, knowing it was her brother. As she sought a pitcher of water to rinse her mouth and cool her burning face, he stood nearby - speaking quietly.

"The captain says the weather will soon clear. And we should reach the coast in a day or two."

Cassia was silent, wishing he would go away. But he talked on.

"When we are home, Rosalyn and the children will help you to forget your troubles."

He had spoken often of his wife and two young children, who were eagerly waiting for him at home. Rosalyn was a good and generous wife, he said. He felt he had made a good choice of her from the ladies at court, for although she was born of noble blood and he was not, she did not scorn him in secret like much of the nobility had.

"It is a very different life that you will now lead, as the sister of a baron. Edwin benefits already from being my steward..."

She rose to her feet, intent on leaving the room. "I need a breath of fresh air."

In the doorway, he put his hand on her arm to stop her. His touch was gentle, as was his voice. There was genuine concern in his eyes as he looked at her.

"Perhaps you should remain here, resting."

She shook off his hold. "I am perfectly well. Do not concern yourself."

Pushing past him, she sought the upper deck of the ship. The sea had calmed, and she found some relief in a cool breeze that had started to flow along. Stephen, of course, was quick to follow her – and of course he had his opinion to give.

"You must forget what has passed, Cassia."

In a calm and cool manner, she answered him - her eyes cold. "You have a habit of too often repeating yourself, brother. And I grow weary of it."

"Guy of Gisborne is not your husband," he reminded her – yet again. "You are Edwin Middleton's wife. It will not be long before he returns home, and you must remember your place as his wife."

It was all she could do to keep from striking him across the face. Had she not felt so sickly, she would have. But she felt strong enough to tell him exactly how she felt – her anguish and pain flowing over in a fury.

"I need no constant reminder of where my loyalties should lie! But you cannot banish Guy of Gisborne from my heart!"

Stephen lowered his voice slightly. It became a low, angry growl.