Chapter 11

(Contains Adult Content)

*****

Drunkards.

The sound was not difficult to discern. Probably it was some neighboring peasants who had tipped back too much ale. Now they were wandering about in search of trouble. But they would find much more than they had bargained for - if he had anything to say about it.

Criminal scum. Time served in the dungeons is too kind. A knife to the throat or the gullet would serve them better.

As he approached, he saw that it wasn't peasants at all. It was three Nottingham guards - and if there was anything more useless than the poor, it was Briewere's men. At least peasants could be put to work. What use were the guards, really - other than a liability? And right then, the worthless fools were ransacking Lucas DeWarren's animal pen. One guard was trying to shove chickens into a burlap sack. Another held Lucas back to keep him from struggling - and the third guard was leading a horse out of the barn.

His horse. He heard their drunken glee at finding such a prize.

"Well, mates! Look here at what I found! He will fetch a proper price, won't he?"

The man holding Lucas twisted the old man's arm tighter, chuckling at the painful gasp it produced. Spitting on the side of his captive's face, he sneered at him. "Tell us, old man. Where did you get such a fine beast?"

Guy's voice came from the dark.

"He is mine."

The guard who held Lucas tried to turn and look at who had spoken - but a moment later, a fist rendered him senseless. The guard who held his horse stood frozen in fear, eyes huge with shock, as he looked upon the face of his long-lost master. Just before he reached the petrified man, Guy could suddenly smell the stench of piss - evidence of a man who was certain he was being confronted by a spirit. The guard fell to his knees, begging for mercy.

"Spare me, ghost! Spare me!"

He was silenced by a quick blow to the skull. Guy turned for his third victim, who was staring in bald shock and slowly backing away, preparing to flee. Knowing he was in no condition to run, Guy still moved forward in pursuit - until a shadow suddenly appeared from the darkness. Then there was the sound of iron meeting a human skull, and the guard crumbled to the ground. As the form came closer, Guy realized it was Cassia – holding a skillet in her hand.

He scowled at her as she came to her father's side. Lucas had fallen to his knees, and Cassia put an arm around his shoulders. Guy's eyes narrowed in anger at her.

"I thought I told you to stay inside."

Her words were defiant. "As if your commands mean anything to me."

How stubborn she was – even in the face of danger. It was thrilling to witness. Gently, she helped her father to his feet – and Guy watched them go, feeling a sense of admiration for her...and his feeling of attraction grew stronger than before. God, she was something else!

But there wasn't time for long observations.

Glancing around, he examined the bodies of the three guards. In retrospect, he wished he had just killed them and gotten rid of their remains. It would have been easier to dispose of them and leave them for the wild animals to feed on. But as they were certainly still alive, he searched his mind for what to do with them.

He saw his horse settled, and returned the chickens to their pen. Then he slowly dragged each body to the nearby lake. Placing each man in the water, he pushed their forms down with the current. They would drift away somewhere, wake up in the morning, and have quite a grand time trying to explain what had happened.