Chapter 28

She slept quite late into the day - and cursed herself for it. She had wanted to see Guy at breakfast, before Stephen took him out on their journey to meet the tenants and examine the property. But as she lay in her bed, thinking on the night that had just passed, she smiled sheepishly - thinking perhaps that meeting him so soon again would not be wise, particularly if others were watching them.

She had a strange wish to be a little bird at that moment, so that she might discreetly follow along with Guy and Stephen and hear their conversation. Guy had said he would seek Stephen's blessing today, and she prayed that her brother would be rational. He had his reasons for not liking Guy - but surely he would not deny her this last chance at happiness.

At her request, the maid prepared a bath and brought her a tray of food, and soon she was left alone with her thoughts. Rosalyn had said that Stephen would take her feelings into consideration. There was some consolation in knowing that Stephen was not banishing Guy entirely – and that made her think that he was at least trying to be reasonable.

Later that afternoon, as she took a long turn around the property with Rosalyn, impatience gnawed at her. Agatha was familiarizing herself with the garden, particularly the herb patch. The children, escorted by their nurse, were at a distance ahead. Cassia and Rosalyn walked side by side, observing them. Stuart ran far ahead, as fast as his little legs would carry him. Then he came running back - a great smile on his face.

"Mama...Auntie...I can run fast!"

Rosalyn gave him a loving smile, reaching down to smooth his flaxen hair. "We see, ma petit. But be careful. Do not fall."

He gave a little giggle...and ran full speed ahead down the path.

"He is a fine boy," Cassia said. "So handsome, and so full of energy." She smiled, watching Stuart as he bravely managed the few steps leading down a section of the path. "He reminds me of Stephen's temperament when we were children. He was always bold and gregarious."

Rosalyn beamed with pride. "My son will make a fine knight one day."

Cassia's smile waned. "I must confess. If I have sons, I hope that their ambitions do not venture towards warfare. I can recall too clearly how painful it was to see Stephen and Edwin gone to seek such glory."

Rosalyn looked sympathetic. But as always, her compassion was tempered by her deep religious convictions - her total devotion to the rules and beliefs of the church.

"If only it could be our decision to make, dear sister. Sons shall follow their fathers. It is a fate that we mothers cannot change."

Cassia sighed. "Yes, I know. I completely abhor the thought of it – but I know it."

"Does Sir Guy speak to you of his own wishes for the future?"

She shrugged. "At present, we would be grateful just to begin our lives together. I pray that Stephen will somehow manage a way to procure an annulment."

Rosalyn grew quiet – and Cassia felt that she knew why. As kind as her sister-in-law was, she did not believe in the dissolution of any marriage, no matter the circumstances. Cassia, feeling remorseful in such a righteous and dignified presence, spoke softly.

"Do you think ill of me, dear sister? Do you judge me for seeking a new husband? I understand if you do."

Managing a smile, Rosalyn took her hand.

"Judging others makes one blind. We must look upon one another only through the eyes of love. And I love you as my own sister, Cassia. Whatever may come of your decisions, I will always stand by you."

Rosalyn gathered her in her arms, and Cassia leaned on her - grateful for such tender compassion and understanding...

*****