095. under the knife

Start from the beginning

"That was a long time ago." Zion replies.

"It was the Ogre. Julie Kemble was his first victim. But you dropped the investigation, and because of that, eleven more women have been murdered."

"Seriously, guys, you know-"

"Stop." I tighten my jaw. "We also know the Ogre killed the loved ones of the cops that hunt him down.
That pattern started with you."

"We think you found something that spooked him." Harvey adds.

"Your notes from the investigation." I stand up and sit on the table. "The last page, something's been scratched out. I wanna know what."

"He killed my wife." Zion reveals. "I still got a daughter, Harvey."

"Beth Tudor. Katherine Wood. Jessica Parker. Eleven women." I place the girls' photos down. "Each one was someone's daughter."

"It has to stop." Jim inquires.

"Yeah. I was doing background on the dead girl. Someone told me she was a nurse for a private medical clinic uptown. It was on Grant and 80th. Some cosmetic place." Zion informs.

"We'll put cops on your daughter until this is done." Harvey nods before we leave.

     ──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"Freaky, huh? You wonder how they recognize themselves after." Harvey looks at the photos of women on the wall as I glance at my phone. "Your mom is fine, kid.  No one's gonna touch her or Dom at the precinct. Relax."

"You do understand it's because of me that she's in danger. Anything that happens is my fault." I tell him.

"You can't hold yourself responsible for the actions of a psychopath." Jim says. "It's my fault. I'm the cop."

"This isn't your fault."

"Detectives...I'm Doctor Cushman. How can I help you?" A man walks over to us.

"We're looking into the murder of a woman named Julie Kemble. She worked here about eight years ago."

"Of course. Terrible thing. Julie was a talented nurse. But she'd only just started here when it happened. She'd been recommended by one of our patients."

"The patient's name?" I question.

"Well, I'm afraid I can't give you that. Confidentiality." Cushman tells me.

"Really? You're gonna make us get a warrant?" Harvey inquires.

"Yes."

"Jesus." I mutter before we head out.

"I specialize in fake boobs, but I got ethics. I need a warrant." Harvey mocks.

"We'll talk to Judge Harkness. I'm sure..." I stop in my tracks to see a black car in the alleyway.

"That car was in front of the precinct." Jim points out and I start walking towards it. "Brianna."

"Kid, wait up!" Harvey calls out and I take out my gun from my holster. "Hey, kid! Don't." He warns and I stop.

"You gonna come out or am I gonna have to resort to bullets instead?" I tighten my jaw and the car turns on before going right for us. I push Jim and Harvey out of the way before jumping to the side. The car passes us and I start shooting at it.

"Brianna!" Jim shouts.

"Bastard." I lower the gun.