Chapter 5 - The Last Ball

Start from the beginning

She needed to go. Now.

And she strictly memorized, barely- or had a memory lane of imaging the shops that passed her like a tree dome when she entered for the waiting area. As if taunting her. With its blinding lights and the products they offer. A shame that she didn't go to visit earlier and buy herself an early gift for her upcoming birthday.

For herself. To go and look for anything that she might've been interested in.

Airports sold winery and chocolate, she remembered. They have desserts and other mouthwatering sweet desserts to bring back to their home country. As presents or as a memoir of their visit to the country. And she wasn't about to pass it up anytime soon. It was urgent. And she had to go now. But she was worried how Cain would react, or how he would respond.

Averithe wished she wouldn't have to ask. Buy them all and grab them all in an instance. Just the wine. She promised. She took a heave breath in.

Cain, who was reading a magazine open on the side provided while his laptop, tapping away on the keys of ignition, "Cain, can we go back to the and go the shopping mall back on the block?" She turned sideways as she asked.

"What, why?" He didn't turn to look at her. Couldn't he sense the urgency in her question?

By the face, Averithe knew he hesitated. She didn't knew what was wrong with him. It was by a long shot that he would agree immediately. And it didn't help that he slightly looked away -from an eye contact, guiltily, somewhat, before typing away again. Turning back to her.

"All right, but-"

She stood up. Deliberately, that it gave Cain a shock. Much to her surprise as well. She didn't know he had it in him. As she hovered over him, dawned on him, a figure two feet tall over Cain himself. She spun.

"Averithe, wait!" Cain called out.

She strudded. And apparently Averithe might have forgotten that his laptop was open and that it was charging. He better take care of that quick.

She would have to remember where it was, or read the signs of a neon plastered on the roof of the ceiling. Or she would dread the moment of asking Cain the question of 'where' the chocolate is.

She had to go and buy it. And just drink some damn wine.

She briskly walked as her sling back swayed along with her, as Cain caught up behind her, "Don't buy too much of wine bottles, okay. It could get us caught."

"Yeah- yeah, I get it, all right." She snapped, her boots as if crunching in response.

Cain had a long, pressurised moment. Standing beside her. It was starting to get bleak. He knew it was blood wine. And he didn't have the appetite nor the words to inform it to her. She might like it. Heck, he'd tell her after she'd finished the whole bottle. He didn't know if she liked it or not. In most cases, he would've gotten the privilege to drink all else if she didn't like it. He smirked.

"What?" She turned to look at him.

His small smile dropped. "Nothing." He looked away.

He better. And it seemed, that it was because Averithe got a little knowing and a little possessive with her wine bottles she bought-- knowing her, she might've drunk it and puke it right after. Maybe she would've liked it, tasting the first drop of gulp of a single blood wine bottle.

And all the while that Averithe was busy.
While Cain followed her, as if guiding her but in a sense of being just an accompaniment beforehand, and how she was now too busy searching And reading for prescriptions, as if careful, but she knew she would just drink them all in one go. She wouldn't get dizzy-- perhaps she just had an immune system.