029 | the end

xxix

xxix. and here it is, our final night alive

THE SECOND THAT THEY REACHED
the roof platform, she collapsed onto her knees, her hands shaking as she tried to comprehend what had just happened.

But she didn't have time to grieve Cassians' death and instead shook off her terror and took a deep breath, standing on her feet and walking over to the console.

Harlow chuckled to herself when she saw the ships fighting in the sky, trying to save them on Scarif, and for the first time since they landed, she had hope that they'd make it home.

"I knew the Rebellion would come through for us," Jyn said, a smile on her face as she stood next to Harlow at the controls.

Jyn inserted the data pack and it locked on. Then Harlow put the key fob into the system and they both took a deep breath, waiting for it to start transmitting but it never did. 

"Reset antenna alignment," the machine said to the in a robotic voice and Harlow swore under her breath.

She couldn't believe that after everything that they had done, the antenna being in the wrong place was going to ruin it.

Harlow shook her head, tapping furiously on the keyboard and when it alerted her of needing a manual reset, she shook her head, unbuttoning her shirt to reveal her tank top and rolling her sleeves up.

"What are you doing?" Jyn asked, looking at the girl.

"I'm climbing that thing," Harlow said and Jyn knew her enough to recognise that determined look in her eyes. She wasn't going to be able to stop her.

Jyn nodded and Harlow began climbing. She had to keep climbing and climbing because if they didn't get this set back into place then Cassians death meant nothing.

When she reached the top, she took a second, letting the wind rush through her hair before she kicked it back onto place.

"It's locked in," Jyn called up to her and Harlow nodded, beginning her descent back down the antenna.

But as she stated to climb down, she watched the bridge that Jyn was on get blown up by a blast from a tie-fightwr, leaving her hanging on the ledge.

Harlow tried to climb down faster fo help Jyn but she couldn't due to the small footholds on the antenna - she couldn't risk it not aligning again.

"You okay down there?" She called out when she noticed that Jyn had managed ro climb back up.

Over the last week, she had become fast friends with jyn. The two shared a skeptic view of the rebellion but still trusted it wholeheartedly.

"Yeah, I'm plugging it in now," Jyn said and Harlow could hear the machine whirring.

She took a breather, standinf at the top of the antenna ladder as she prepared to go back down. They had won and somehow, she had lost everythinf. She couldn't help but think about Cassian laying on the floor of the tower.