003 | trusting

iii

iii. told me all of my cages were mental, so I got wasted like all my potential

THE TWO WERE WALKING UP THE mountains, silent as they tried to make the trek in faster than 6 hours. She knew how long the hike was going to be and with the imperial patrols it was going to take even longer.

Cassian looks up at her, her hair tied behind her head with a dark green hood over it as the wind blowed in their direction.

"You never answered my question," he said, breaking the silence that they had been walking in.

"Which one?" She questioned, looking back at him, the hood falling from her head.

"About what this mission is really about," he stated and she nodded.

She didn't know how much she was allowed to say or how much Vel would want to her to say.

"I believe that the empire shouldn't be in charge, they have silently been starmgling us and the chokehold is getting too tight," she explained, trying to be as vague as possible.

"And him, does he lead us?" He asked, referring back to Luthen.

She thought about it for a second before shaking her head, "No, well sort of, it's none of your business," she said.

"Who is he?" He asked and Harlow sighed, stopping on the path to turn and look back at him.

"You're getting on my nerves Cassian," she said, pointing at him, "When we get to camp, neither me nor Vel will mention him or this arrangement,"

Cassian was silent as he watched her explain it all. He knew he had to trust this girl to make it out alive but she was making it difficult.

"You're a friend of mine from my other jobs with him. This was Vels idea and we've been planning on this for a while however I didn't know if you'd get here on time but you can see how lucky we are," Harlow explained.

"She called you Harlow, I thought your name was Kaz," he said and she nodded.

"It's my full name, Harlow Kaz, he prefers last names," she explained, continuing to walk along the path.

"And you prefer first? You always call me Cassian," he asks. He was curious about her and there was something that just made him want to know everything about her.

"It rolls off the tongue better," Harlow stated and she sighed.

She realised that he deserved to know what mission he was going into and turned back to look at him.

"We're going to break into the garrison and steal the money from the imperial armoury," she explained.

Cassian froze and she stopped when she heard the monotonous tone of his feet against the mountain rock stop..

"You're taking on an imperial armoury? The garrison?" He questioned, eyes wide and accusing. He couldn't believe this was real.

"We're taking on an imperial armoury," she solidified, making sure he knew what he was getting into, "You'll have help from all if us,"

"Us? How many of us are there?" Cassian asked and she rolled her eyes in frustration.

"You ask too many question Cassian and it's going to get a bullet put in your skull," she said, her voice raised and clearly aggravated.

"You can't expect me to just be okay with all of this, how many are there?" He asked again and she sighed.

"Seven, eight now," she explained, about to move when she heard something in the distance.

"Hold on," She said, stopping where she was, holding her hands out to stop him as well.

When they both noticed the loud hum of the tie fighters, they looked at one another, trying to decipher what they were going to do.

She reached over, wrapping a hand around his wrist and pulling him away from sight, her head whipping around as she looked for a place to hide.

"There!" He announced, seeing a small ledge made of rocks that was out of view of the tie fighters.

She nodded, the two running over and she pulled him under before letting go of his wrist.

It was a small cavern, the two sitting there shoulder to shoulder, heads slightly touching with how close they were.

It's cramped, too cramped and she could feel her claustrophobia creeping in, her throat tightening and her breath shortening.

He looked over at her, his head close to hers in the tight space and he watched the way her eyes fogged over.

When the sound of the ships were gone, he stepped out, looking down at her and he could tell something was wrong but didn't mention anything.

"Harlow," he said and she looked up, trying to avoid the sound of the pounding of her heart in her ears as she faked a smile, "They're gone,"

"Bastards, they won't be back today, let's go," she said, pulling herself up and standing there, brushing the dirt off of her outfit and pulling her hood back up.

They continued walking and he looked over at her, remembering the horrified look on her face when they were stuck in that small space.

She looked around, taking a deep breath as she relished in the wide open spaces of Aldhani.

When she had gotten here for the first time, she had loved the open landscapes of the greenery even if the place was dingier compared to what she knew.

"There used to be hundreds of settlements here, 40,000 Aldhanis but the empire spent a decade clearing them out," she said as they walked into a clearing.

She looked at an old campfire and a broken down hut that used to belong to the people there.

It made her blood boil at the idea of the empire coming in here and destroying these building and getting all of the innocent Aldhani people out of their homes.

It brought back awful memories of the day that the empire had brought down her village and changed her life completely.

"They push then out for work, imperial housing," she said, scoffing as she stopped in the middle, "It's the perfect huh for distribution if one where trying to take over the galaxy,"

He noticed the torn look in her eyes as he stopped next to her, the two of them looking around the broken down village.

"Who are we supposed to be?" He asked, looking at her.

She thought for a second, pursing her lips together before looking over at him, "Sheperds in the hills," she said, "If we're lucky we avoid any patrols tht they randomly plant but i can't ensure it,"

"And if it comes to it?" He asked and she shook her head, turning to him with an over exaggerated smile

"You're my darling husband and we're walking to a local farm. We're mystics and are preparing for the meteorite show of the century," she explained.

"You've got everything planned," he said, nodding his head.

"I think fast on my feet," she said, looking around "Just pray that we don't bump into any of them,"

She sighed, starting to walk into the distance away from the clearing, Cassian following after her as they headed towards the camp.

1299 words