026 | last night

xxvi

xxvi. it's telling me to hold you tight and dance like it's the last night of the world

HARLOW LOOKED AT ONE OF THE only pictures that she had with Cassian. It was a picture of the two of them on the base, wide smiles on both of their faces.

She picked it up with a shaky breath, her thumb brushing over both of their faces as she thought about how simple that moment was.

There was a part of her that wished that she could go back to a time where the world wasn't ending in front of them and they didn't have to risk their lives for the rebellion.

But there had never been a time where she was not doinf something for the rebellion, where she was not being put down by the empire.

When she felt two hands wrap around her waist, she leaned back into his chest, feeling him against her.

"That's my favourite picture of you," he said and at this angle, he could rest his chin against the top of her head, "You just look so happy,"

She placed it back down, spinning around in his touch so that his hands were resting on her hips, "And I don't normally?" She asked teasingly and he smiled.

It was nice that he was able to smile when the world was falling apart at their feet. She could stare at his smile forever.

"No, it's just nice to be able to capture your smile forever," he said.

Cassian sighed as he looked at her, eyes trading the sharp curves of her face, the deep colour of her skin, the soft look in her eyes as she looked at him.

Her smile turned into a frown as she felt his stare on her. She could tell that he was ready to give everything he had for this mission and that worried her.

"Don't look at me like that," Harlow said, shaking her head.

"Like what?" He asked, thumb brushing against the bare skin on her waist from where her shirt had ridden up.

She sighed, looking at him, "Like we're not coming home," she said.

He noticed what he meant, a hand coming up to brush against her cheek, "We're not going to die," he said but she knew him well enough to hear the worry in his voice.

She reached up, placing her hand on top of his. She leant over, pressing a kiss against his wrist.

"We should retire after this, run away and live on a planet where the empire can never hurt us," he said.

She loved the idea of it just being the two of them forever in a little beach house, knowing that they were going to live to a ripe old age. But with the rebellion, that was never guaranteed.

She shook her head, "You know we would never be able ro escape, not until the empire is gone," she explained.

Cassian sighed because he knew it wa true. He knew that until the empire was gone them they could never have any peace.