017 | a rescue mission

xvii

xvii. even when you try to hide it, a
smile creeps our from your teeth

THE SECOND THAT CASSIAN GOT back, Harlow was waiting for him at the entry door, like she always had. She stood in her usual spot by the archway, waiting to see him again.

When he got off, his eyes scanned the crowd that had began to grow around the landing slip and the second he noticed her, his face lit up.

They had tried to keep their relationship on the down low but whenever one of them would get back from a mission safely, they had to see each other.

They had been on a mission on some random planet when somebody has bombed the ship they were going to land on.

They hid away for 13 days before somebody rescued them but at that point, they had ended up admitting everything to one another, about how they felt.

And since that moment he hadn't been able to let go. Every mission that they went on, he made sure she was safe over him and it changed the way they fought but also made them better.

Harlow pushed through the crowd of people congratulating the successful mission, her eyes locked on his as she tried to get to him, to check if he's okay.

When she made it there, they just stared at each other for a second, smiles on their faces. They were always glad that they managed to make it another day in the rebellion.

"You okay?" Harlow asked, reaching up to place a hand on his face, thumb brushing over the stubble on his cheek.

"I'm good," he said, placing his hand over hers and pulling it over his lips, pressing a kiss against it.

"You've got to go debrief don't you?" She questioned and he nodded.

"I'll meet you in your office afterwards," Cassian said. His hand moving to go under her chin, pulling her in for a soft kiss, "I won't be long, but this is a big thing,"

When he got back, she was waiting for him in her office as she wrote down something in a file. He stood at the doorway, a smile on his face as he watched her work.

"You would have made a great politician you know," he said and she looked up, shaking her head.

"Nemik would have made a good politician, I made a good wing man," she said, putting her pen down as she leant back in her chair.

He knew that it still made her upset to think about Nemik but his memory was what kept her going, what kept her focused on th mission ahead because otherwise, his death was in vain.

"Do you have your mission report Captain?" She asked and he smirked, holding out the file.

She took it, scanning through the pages to get caught up on the mission. Her eyes went wide when she noticed something in the writing.