001 | reckoning

i

i. I bet on losing dogs, I know they're losing and Ill pay for my place

HARLOW WALKED ALONG THE road in Ferrix with Luthen, "I don't understand why this guy is so important, my mission goes off in five days and I have to be there," she said.

She was frustrated that he had taken her away from her important mission on Aldhani for this. He sighed, "Trust me, he's important,"

Luthen swung the door open and a man came into view. He was tall, 5'9 maybe 5'10 and she couldn't help but admit that he was attractive.

"I thought you were coming alone," he said and she noticed his accent, unsure of where it came from.

"She is part of my mission, a friend you may say," he said and Cassian sighed.

"Okay, it's forty thousand, that's what I want. Nothing less," he negotiated.

She looked at him, wondering what this man wanted, "Forty thousand credits is cheap for an untraceable Starpath unit," she said, "You can track every imperial coordinate for nine radial parsecs,"

"Yes, and it's sealed so I can promise you that it works," he said, narrowing his eyes at her.

He was intruiged by the woman as soon as she walked in. She was pretty, long black hair tied up in an intricate braid and eyes staring right into his soul.

"So you could be scamming me," Luthen stated.

"I give you my word," Cassian said with a chuckle, "And if that's not enough, you could come back if you were dissatisfied,"

Luthen walked towards him and Harlow followed after him, getting closer to the man. With her big soled shoes she was nearly as tall as him, looking him in the eye.

"You're planning on sticking around are you?" Luthen questioned and he nodded.

Cassian pulled out a package, opening it up and revealing the sealed star path unit, "Where did you get it?" Harlow asked.

"I see three choices: you're an imperial spy, you're fronting for the person I really want to speak to or youre the thing itself," Luthen said.

Cassian sighed, "I see one choice. Either you've got my money or you don't,"

"That's two," Harlow said and he looked over at her, "So which is it, I know you bribe quartermaster to leave valuables on ships but this isn't that,"

Luthen continued to drill him, asking him where he got it and Cassian explained that he had walked in pretending that he was an imperial solider.

Harlow was impressed, nodding her head as she looked at him. She knew the empire was cocky but this wasn't something she'd expected.

"I know you Cassian, these days will end, the way they laugh, the way they push through the crowd," Luthen said, pacing back and forth as he talked.

"We should get moving," Cassian said, not wanting to listen to him, "You'll get caught with that,"

"They'd take me up to Rix road and hang me in the square, wouldn't be the first time would it?" He asked.

Harlow watched as he physically recoiled and it reminded her of the way she reacted when she found out her friend wad a stormtrooper, she hated stormtroopers.

"Isn't that where they hung your father?" Luthen asked and Harlow scoffed.

"That's enough Luthen," she said, knowing how it feels to be ridiculed for your parents deaths, when he tried to protest she shut him down, "That's enough, keep his father out of it,"

Cassian watched as she stood up for him, a guy she didn't even know and he wondered who this person was.

Luthen went on chatting to him, asking him for what he wants. Cassian kept asking why he knew him and Luthwn went on talking about him, not flinching away.

The device started beeping and he grabbed it, listening as it said that a radio wad nearby.

"Are you carrying a comslink?" Harlow asked and he nodded, "Give it to me right now,"

He nodded and passed it over and she threw it on the ground, smashing it under her feet as Luthen told him off for carrying it.

They froze as they heard the corpos surrounding them, "They're taking the doors," Luthen stated, looking around.

"We're surrounded," Cassian said and Harlow smirked.

"I put slap charges on the doors, I always build my exit on the way in," she said before clicking a button, watching as the heavy weights began to fall from the ceiling, blocking the doors.

They all held their guns out as they saw a man fall down but then Cassian made a run for the box despite the duos protests.

He rushed forwards and some soldiers made it through. Harlow ducked behind a metal post.

"I'm going, cover me," he zaid and she looked up, watching as he tried to run over.

"Leave the damn box!" She yelled out and it went silent as he tried to run for another one. That's when the blasters went off again.

Cassian got shot in the arm and she managed to get a clear short at the corpo, shooting him square in the chest.

One of the falling chains hit Cassian in the face, knocking him go the ground and she rolled her eyes as she grabbed him, pulling him into the small cavern just as another weight fell down.

"Didn't I tell you to let go of box," she said as they rushed to the exit, following Cassians lead.

As soon as they got outside, they started being shot at and started running for it, following wherever Cassian went.

They managed to grab a speeder after a quick run in with some of the men and they sat on the back, making their escape across the area.

It was about forty clicks to the ship and then they abandoned it, leaving it as they rushed to their ship.

"Come on Cassian, are you going to stand there all day?" She asked as they rushed onto the ship, him following her lead as they walked to the main area.

He froze as he stood in the cockpit area, looking out through the main window at the sunrise, a sad smile on his face.

"Welcome to the crew," she said, a smirk on her face.

1129 words