4.3

~ ~ ~ ~ ** ~ ~ ~ ~

Part 3: Breaking

~ ~ ~ ~ ** ~ ~ ~ ~

Life and death, the circle of life.

Bella was becoming weaker all while trying to bring life into the cruel world. Rosalie and Ruby stood by the girl, helping her as much as possible. The two blondes could only do so much to help.

Ruby understood Bella's wish to still keep the child, despite the agonising pain it was causing her. The baby was part Bella, part Edward, a product of their love.

"Your rib is cracked. But there are no splinters. You haven't punctured anything," Carlisle told the human. "Yet." The doctor looked at Edward, silently warning him not to say anything else.

"It's breaking her bones now. It's crushing you from the inside out. Carlisle, tell her what you told me. Tell her."

Ruby was already aware of what was happening. She could feel the girl growing weaker, despite trying to heal her without using too much energy, it wasn't doing much.

"Carlisle, tell me, it's alright."

"The fetus isn't compatible with your body," he told her. "It's too strong. It won't allow you to get the nutrition you need. It's starving you by the hour. I can't stop it, and I can't slow it down. At this rate, your heart will give out before you can deliver."

"Then I'll hold on as long as l can, and then-" "Bella, there are some conditions that even venom can't overcome," Carlisle told the human. "Even with Rubella's help, I'm sorry."

Bella's eyes flickered to her husband, tears threatening to fall down her face as she saw how broken he looked. She couldn't get rid of their child and the life-threatening news didn't change her mind.

"Edward, I'm sorry."

"I can't live without you," Edward said. "You won't," Bella attempted to reassure her husband. "You're gonna have a part of me. He'll need you."

The vampire scoffed at her words. "Do you honestly think that l could love it or even tolerate it if it killed you?"

"It's not his fault. You have to accept it."

"Because you've given me no choice!" He yelled.

The vampire took a deep breath as he calmed himself. He wanted to be understanding, but how could he? He waited all his life to find his soul mate and she was going to die for the possibility of a child. They weren't sure the child was going to survive, yet she wanted to die for it.

"Bella, we're supposed to be partners, remember? But you decided this on your own. You've decided to leave me."

"Don't see it that way," Bella tried to reason with her husband.

"Well, I have no other way to see it. 'Cause, it's me who'll lose you. And I don't choose that. I don't choose that."

Edward stormed off leaving Bella in Ruby's company. He knew the hybrid would protect her with her life. She loved the human, even before the incident. Edward knew the blonde had been trying to help with her powers, though she was attempting to save them until the end, the change.

A shiver ran down Bella's body. "Cold." "I got it," Jacob mumbled as he sat next to Bella, the space once occupied by Ruby who had moved over. He wrapped his arms around the girl, hugging her in his warm embrace.

Bella looked up at him with a loving smile, causing him to chuckle. "Don't do that." "What?" "Smile like I'm your favorite person in the world," he responded. "You're one of them," she admitted. "It feels complete when you're here, Jake."