It's Just A Game

The night was the same. It was just boring, cold, and just flat out lonely. The only thing that kept him company was his PC resting on his desk. The ghostly blue light emanating from the screen kept his room somewhat lit up. If you were outside of his room, you could hear his keyboard keys clacking followed up with his mouth clicking.

You may be wondering who this guy is, he seems pretty lazy, right? Wrong, this is just his free time to do whatever he wants in his isolated house after work. You see, Max is a video game developer, and since his game testers are all busy, he just has to test the games himself.

The game was a first-person shooter. The objective is simple. Shoot the bad guys and have fun. Simple, right? Wrong, again! His company is massive, and I mean MASSIVE. His games involve AI that is beyond human comprehension and the story telling between levels is somehow making people feel like they're watching a movie!

Anyways, exposition over. It's time for the real story to begin...

It was pouring outside, which made Max's night even more depressing for him. Eventually, a thunder storm came towards him to make his night even worse. The thunder struck a part of his roof, causing a fire, but Max didn't notice, until the smoke came. He freaked out, and opened his door to see and feel the fire.

He slammed his door shut and decided to go through the window, but his computer screen displayed a bright blue light. It seemingly roared at Max like a lion, and flung Max to the wall on his back. Max was confused, no computer has ever even threw someone across the room, especially with no robotic limbs!

As Max was getting up from his bed, he was sucked into the computer! Max opened his eyes to the fantastical world he created. Max put his hands to his sides, checking his pockets for his phone, but his phone wasn't anywhere to be found. Max then looked at his clothing, it resembled that of an elf's clothing, and not the Christmas kind.

Max then heard a loud beep followed up by a jumpscare of a white rectangle in front of him. There was red text with a blue stroke around the letters that read "AUTOPLAY ACTIVATED." Max started to wonder, if he's in a video game, and he's the character you play as, what happens when autoplay gets turned on?

Max felt his body being taken over by the AI. The white box with text disappeared as Max picked out a sword from his back. Max wanted to leave, he just wanted to be out of the game. Max walked and walked on a dirt path. Max couldn't fight back because this isn't even his body, it's his characters body that's being controlled, not him.

Eventually, Max felt the need to pee, of course, this is HIS problem, not the character's problems because he doesn't need to. Max couldn't even try to hold it in. This isn't his body, so it's not the body's problem. A zombie landed on the ground from the sky. It pulled out a sword. Max couldn't hold it in anymore, and let it all out...

Max felt so flustered and embarrassed as he ran towards the enemy zombie. Max then remember something. The AI in his game is smarter than normal AI, but if the AI that is playing Max is normal AI, then doesn't that mean-

Max got punched in the stomach hard, and I mean HARD. Max's character died at an instant, but meanwhile, in real life, the fire finally reached the computer, slowly breaking it down. Max woke up again in the video game world. Max was stuck in autoplay mode again. His character jumped up and down the obstacles, but during that he froze in place. Everything did. He was stuck in his current state, just jumping up and down.

It was exercise, but it wouldn't matter in real life. The fire started to break down the game Max was in. He didn't know it. He was jumping up and down, possibly for eternity if the fire doesn't reach the part of his coach, and that might come true now. In real life, the firefighters hosed down his room, saving him from a devastating and painful death.

Max was stuck in his jumping position until it all faded to black. Max woke up to his son, now two years older than the last time Max saw him. He looked surprised, but saddened as he looked at the menu. He clicked on settings and changed the keybinds to his liking and decided to play the actual game.

Max woke up again in the starting place of his game, which was a cabin with an old man making hot chocolate for you in the background. He was stuck listening to the old man singing while paralyzed in bed. Suddenly Max's wife called his son for dinner. He left his laptop, leaving Max to sit there, paralyzed in bed before going on to unknowingly play his dad.

To be continued (if you really want...)