MANIC

Adrien's demeanor changed like a switch. He went from friendly to creepy within seconds. I was so surprised that I couldn't even react quickly, but his body suddenly shook, and then he passed out.

"Adrien?"

"Oh dear, are you okay?"

Their mom, Ms. Andrea stood in the doorway. I gave her a slow nod, not understanding what just happened.

"He was talking, then suddenly he dropped to the floor."

I felt a tingling sensation go through my arms and legs. Ms. Andrea motioned me to come to her, and I did immediately. She didn't even check on Adrien...I was surprised.

"You should get out of here for a little while. Get some fresh air."

She grabbed my hand, leading me down a long hall. Two maids were rushing around, closing all the curtains in different areas. His mom took me into her room, and I was confused at what she was telling me.

"Where's Julien?" I asked.

Her eyes widened as if she were afraid. Why is she acting weird?

"He's not feeling well, Zena."

My heart raced. "What?! I want to see him."

When I tried to walk out, she quickly pulled me back. "No!"

"Why are you acting like this?"

She closed her bedroom door.

"Listen, Zena. I know you like my son, but he's not what you think he is..."

"I know. He's not human, right?"

She sighed. "His father and I are Vampires..."

For some reason, her revelation didn't scare me. It made me more intrigued.

"Why haven't any of you tried to attack me?"

"Human blood is very important to my survival. The scent of human flesh can send our kind into a raging hunger. But you don't seem to have that effect on me."

"Oh, so it's the same for Julien?"

"He's only part vampire, so that helps."

"Part?"

"Yes, I was human while pregnant with him, then was turned a month before he was born. That was the first time I found out what his father really was."

Adrien told me that he and Julien had some human DNA, so the sunlight having no effect on him made sense.

But I still didn't understand what the problem was with me seeing him. I've already accepted that he and his family were different, and it doesn't bother me.

"You haven't told me what's wrong with Julien."

"He caused Adrien's recent condition. Sometimes, he goes into a state of mind that he can not control. He hurts or kills unprovoked, and if you are in his sights, you too can be harmed or killed. We have a greater chance of surviving Julien's manic episodes than you do."

"Manic episodes?"

There was a knock, and she got up to open the door.

"Madam, Mr. Laurent has been isolated, and a car is waiting for his guest's departure."

The maid put something in her hand.

"You have to go, Zena."

Ms. Andrea handed me an envelope filled with cash.

"Go and live your life, be safe and forget about Julien."

***

Me and Aaron, along with three of the maids, walked through the basement of the mansion. The ground and walls were cemented, and the door in the center was iron.

Adrien, trying to touch Zena, triggered Julien's psychosis. He sent a shock through his body, and Adrien still hasn't woken up from it.

Julien hasn't had an episode in 11 years.

Aaron opened the door, and there was my son sitting in a metal chair with chains around his arms, legs, and neck. This is how Julien instructed us to subdue him when he had another episode.

"Hello son, how are you feeling?"

"I was feeling great until I no longer felt Zena's energy."

We all looked at each other...I was hoping that she was a fling for her own safety, but it was not looking that way.

"Are you hungry?"

"Yes...."

The maid uncovered the tray of food, and I felt a little hopeful.

"I want Zena...."

"Julien..."

"Where is she?"

I had to be mindful of my words, or he'll be down here longer than wanted. Flashbacks of his last massacre played in my head...all the blood and bodies. We had to move away after that happened.

"She's resting. Here, eat something, honey."

"Mother, mother, mother. You're a horrible liar."

"We wanted her to be safe, so she's staying...."

Aaron interrupted me.

"When we told her your situation, she got frightened and left."

Julien didn't respond. He just looked at us with his abyss eyes. His breaths were slow and steady.

"Moi je t'offrirai (I will give you) Des perles de pluie (pearls of rain) Venues de pays (coming from countries) où il ne pleut pas (where it doesn't rain)..."

His eyes were closed as he sang a love song of heartbreak and yearning. The others began to back away as I stood frozen in place, listening to my son.

"Je ferai un domaine (I will create an area) où l'amour sera roi (where love will be king) où l'amour sera loi (where love will be the law) où tu seras reine (where you will be queen)."

He opened his eyes toward the ceiling.

"Ma fleur. Ne me quitte pas (my flower. do not leave me) Ne me quitte pas, ne me quitte pas....."

The lights flickered, causing Aaron and the maids to hurry out of the room in fear. At that moment, I admired Zena because she was adored by Julien, but was also afraid for her for the same reason.

"S-Son, I'm so sorry."

"It doesn't matter. I will find her."