CHANGE

Zena pulled up to her house, sitting in her car. She was trying to be optimistic about talking to her father and hoped he understood she was just protecting her sister.

Let's get this over with.

She walked into the house where her father, Bryant and her stepmother Sheila sat on the couch with a bruise under her left eye and swollen lip.

"Dad."

"Have you lost your damn mind?"

Zena took a hard swallow, trying not to panic.

"She was attacking..."

"Look at her face! Are you insane?!"

The anger in his eyes broke Zena's heart. She felt like she was losing her father too. Soon there were knocks on the door, Sheila answered and two police officers came inside.

"Hello, officers...This is Zena Weston. She assaulted my wife."

She looked at her father in shock.

"D-Dad..."

"How old?" The officer asked.

"She's over eighteen."

Zena was frozen, her words were stuck in her throat as her mind tried to make sense of what was happening.

"Do you want to press charges?"

"Absolutely," Bryant spoke while Sheila remained silent.

Tears fell down her face at her father's words.

"Put your hands behind your back."

Zena felt the cold metal squeeze both her wrist. Her father stared as if she was a stranger.

"You have a right to remain silent. Anything you say, can and will be used against you in a court of law..."

After the officer read her rights, as he walked her out she saw Kizzy standing at the top of the stairs shaking. Her face was wet with tears.

"Zee! I'm sorry...I'm so sorry."

Zena gave her a soft smile. "It's not your fault, it's okay...I'll be okay."

Neighbors stood in front of their homes watching her be escorted to the patrol car.

"I was just protecting my sister..."

The officer ignored her, putting her into the backseat.

***

Three days went by before I was released on bail. When I walked out I was surprised to see my Dad standing in the precinct waiting for me.

"Thank you." That's all I could say, then we walked out.

On the car ride home, my father was silent for the first few minutes. Then he suddenly started talking.

"I know why you attacked Sheila."

"Kizzy told you?"

"Yes...but Jordan confirmed it."

I thought of my little brother seeing me hitting his mother and I prayed he wouldn't hate me for it.

We pulled up to the house then walked inside, everyone was gone.

When I went into my room there were two suitcases and a bag sitting on my bare mattress. All of my pictures on the wall were gone, my dresser was empty and the flat screen was removed.

"We dropped the charges but on one condition...you can't stay here."

"Where am I gonna go?"

He handed me some money. "You're an adult now, Zena. You have to figure that out."