It drained all of my energy and I went to my room to have a quick nap. When I woke up it was already dark out. Cadmael should have come back by now and I came out of my room to go find him. However, he still wasn't home and I got worried for some reason. Was he alright? It was the first time he went to school without me. Was he being bullied again? No, they wouldn't dare hurt him after seeing the tournament. Right?

I started walking faster and left the dukedom to look for him. I started running in the streets, my heart speeding every second that I didn't see him. I had to breathe. He was a strong child. He could take care of himself. Then why was I so scared? I was so terrified that I didn't look properly ahead and crashed into a wall. Except that the wall was a person and Cadmael at that.

He grabbed my shoulders to help me stabilize and looked down at me worried:

"Eschyle? What happened? Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

I didn't answer and started patting his body looking for wounds. Cadmael froze and became redder and redder:

"What are you doing?

-Are you okay? Why haven't you come home? Did you get hurt? Who hurt you? I'm sorry I didn't come to school. It was my fault."

Cadmael took my face into his hands and forced me to look into his eyes.

"Eschyle, calm down. I'm fine. Nothing happened.

-Really?

-Yes. Look at me. I am completely fine."

I signed and started to calm down slowly.

"I'm sorry I didn't come home on time. I didn't think you'd worry.

-Of course I would! You're my friend. Who wouldn't worry?"

This child was too sweet for this world. Of course I'd worry. Cadmael showed a bright smile before looking for something in his bag and handing it to me. I looked at it and it took me a few seconds to realize what it was: books.

"Diana told me that you really wanted that book too but couldn't get it. I didn't come home because I was looking for it."

I took the book bewildered. Did he do all of this for me?

"The other one had been recommended to me by the marchand. I don't think you have already read it."

I looked up at Cadmael, still unable to grasp the situation. I haven't read that book. No one ever recommended a book to me. No one ever asked for recommendations for me. No one ever did all of this just for me... What was this feeling? It felt strangely warm in my heart. I was extremely touched and because of all the adrenaline, some tears escaped my eyes. Cadmael immediately panicked seeing them:

"Did you already read it? I'm sorry. I thought I memorized all the books I've seen you read. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention. I'll..."

I hugged him and made him stop talking. At the same time I hugged him to hide my face, embarrassed. Why was I crying for this small gesture?

"Thank you."

Cadmael returned my embrace and I felt good in his arms. I tried my best to stop crying. I was really happy in this world. Everything was fine, sister. You don't have to worry about me. It seems I have a friend who cares about me. I knew I shouldn't be friends with the male lead but for today it felt good. Soon he wouldn't need me anyway. I could still enjoy it in the meantime.

I left Cadmael's arms and smiled:

"Thank you so much. I really wanted to read it. How did you find it? There was no more left in the whole city.

-I left the city.

-What?

-After talking to Diana, I went to Kedmar.

-But it's so far! How did you go there?

-I walked.

-What?"

My eyes couldn't get bigger. He walked for what? Eight hours? Just to get me a book? I didn't know if I should be puzzled or touched and just stared at Cadmael for a long time. He blushed and started walking home. Cadmael was an amazing friend. I wondered how he would be with Diana when they were going to get together. Diana was a lucky girl. I couldn't imagine a better boyfriend than Cadmael.

I was too happy and couldn't sleep. I took out the book and immediately started reading it. I finished it that night and the next day when Cadmael came to me to get breakfast together, I handed him the book:

"You don't want it anymore?"

I laughed.

"Silly. I wanted to lend it to you. I think you'd really like it."

Cadmael took the book bewildered and he read it all day long without paying attention to class. I didn't know how to react. I gave him the book so he could talk about it with Diana as in the original story but I never expected him to stop paying attention in class. He was doing so great lately! No one could get him to stop reading. During break I immediately walked to him and hearing me arrive, Cadmael put down the book and smiled:

"It's the first time you came to my desk."

He was right. Usually it was Cadmael who came to my desk at every break. But why was he so happy about it? I smiled. He was truly a kid.

"You can't read all day.

-Why?"

His question seemed so innocent that I couldn't help laughing. I shouldn't laugh. I should give him a good example but he seemed genuinely curious and it was too much for me.

"If you don't pay attention, then your grades will drop again.

-That's great. Then you'll help me study again.

-Hey! That's not the spirit at all. You shouldn't be happy to need help. Please listen in class."

Cadmael nodded as a good kitten:

"If it is what you want then I'll listen.

-You shouldn't listen because I tell you to. You should listen because you want to.

-I want to do what you tell me."

I signed and gave up. This child was impossible to reason with.