blondies

" What will we do when we get old? Will we walk down the same road?"

That "comment" I said to Brad earned me two harsh slaps to my face, but they

weren't nearly as bad as when he attacked me, leaving me bruises on almost every inch on my body.

I haven't talked to him for a whole day, he's tried to come to me, but I was so upset with him that I just turned away or slammed the door in his face.

Brad was at a meeting at a camp an hour away, he just left so this is my time to meet Peyton.

I grab a small leather black duffel bag from the back of my closet.

I rush to the kitchen, not knowing when Brad was to come back and grab three thick blondies that Meri had just made, wrap them in tissue so I didn't ruin the bag and rush out the back door very quietly.

I spot Peyton near the fence just where we met a couple of days ago

She sees me and smiles, I start to smile back but them frown when I see a large bruise running down her cheek

"What happened?" I dare ask, coming closer to her but being blocked from the metal fence

She sighs "I wasn't moving fast enough when it was time for bed."

I almost scream at how angry this made me, Nazi soldiers beat you because you didn't move fast enough? I was baffled.

She nods and eyes my bag, which made me fumble for the zipper and hand her a blondie

Her eyes bulge out of her sockets as she takes the food from me through the fence

"Be careful, don't touch the fence, it'll electrocute you." She warns me as she bites into the pasty, thanking me twice

I nod, smiling "I have more if you'd like."

**

I walk back to Brad's house, it was completely silent in the woods, I didn't mind though, I welcomed the quiet.

Peyton and I talked for an hour, she just turned fifteen and she lived with her father and mother and older brother in a cabin at the camp. Peyton said her mother cried every night because she didn't know where her mother, Peyton's grandmother was. Peyton said they lost her when they were being moved from their house, Peyton told me, with tears in her eyes told me that she believed her grandmother was dead.

Peyton told me that her brother, Greg's job was to mend the broken wood from the cabins, soldiers clothes and shoes and whatever they wanted him to do basically. He was seventeen and was very thin because of lack of food, but he was one of the strongest men there, so he had more work and got fed more, but he took his extra food to his family back at their cabin to share.

"They won't feed us for days at a time on some days, we would have to go outside and eat the grass and pray until our hearts couldn't cry anymore for someone to save us." Peyton cries as she tells me how her life has been in the last five months