Book 2 chapter 3

"Headmage, may we come in?" Deuce knocked on the door to Crowley's office.

"How's it going, sir?" Ace spoke as they walked into the office after receiving Crowley's confirmation.

"Ah. Thank you all for coming. I'll get right to the point.
Now that the Heartslabyul incident is behind us...
I wanted to give you a proper debriefing on the matter.
If you're to become mages, you need to fully understand the malady that befell Mr. Rosehearts." Crowley spoke

"You called it "overblot," right?" Deuce questioned as y/n sat down on a pillow that was on the floor.

"Yes, that is correct."

"My brother told me a little about that.
He said that could happen to anyone who builds up too much blot.
Sounds like Cater was pretty much on the nose with "berserker mode."" Ace spoke, shivering at the thought

"Yeah, but what is "blot," anyway?" Grim asked, moving to sit on y/n's lap.

"Ah, indeed. For your sake and y/n's, it would behoove us to start with the basics.
I shall teach you all you need to know. Charity, thy name is Crowley!"
He praised himself before going to rant.

*Ahem*

"Now, "blot" is a form of waste that is created as a byproduct of using magic.
Just as cars run on gasoline, and in the process, expel dangerous gases as exhaust...
Casting spells consumes magical energy, and in the process, expels blot.
Who knew magic had a carbon footprint?"

"That doesn't sound very healthy." Y/n spoke, quite concerned

"Quite." Crowley agreed

"Research into the nature of blot has been conducted since time immemorial.
And yet, we still understand little about it.
All we know for sure is that it is terrifically toxic, and excessive amounts can wreak havoc on a mage's mind and body." Crowley continued to explain

Y/n blinked.
Her magical hair didn't do anything to her...all she had to do was sing and it would work.
But then again, she wasn't allowed to cut it. She had a small strand of dark (h/c) hair underneath all her locks of hair.

"I guess that's why Grandma was always naggin' me to not overdo it with the magic, huh?
Here I thought she just didn't want me to break stuff." Ace huffed

"Power and peril are two sides of the same coin. Even the greatest of mages cannot cast spell after spell without consequence." Crowley explained, sitting on his headmage chair.

"So you're tellin' me I'm gonna get sick if I keep usin' magic whenever I want?!" Grim complained from y/n's lap as she pet him.

"Not necessarily.
Hm. Perhaps a demonstration would prove more efficient than a mere explanation.
Ghosts, assemble! I have a job for you!" Crowley commanded as y/n looked up and the familiar ramshackle ghosts appeared in the room.

"Huzzah! You summoned us, Headmage?" The first ghost spoke

"Not these guys again?!" Ace yelled out in horror.

"Would you be so kind as to help me put these young students through their paces?" Crowley spoke, an evil smirk making its way on his face.

"T-this seems like a bad idea." Deuce stuttered, moving back

"Yeah, okay. We'll go a round or two with 'em." The second ghost spoke enthusiastically.

"Now, students, ready your magical pens. Prepare to receive a special lesson from your headmage!" Crowley smirked.

—————————————
Words this chapter; 562