Book 2 chapter 2

"Ha! Guess who scored the last deluxe grilled cheese sandwich? This guy. That's why they call me Grim the Great!
Myahahaha! I also snagged a bear claw AND a cronut!" Grim cheered as y/n looked at him strangely

" Grim, you need to learn some restraint! I'm really sorry, guys." Deuce apologised to the crowd

"Yo, Pops, gimme one of those roast beef sandwiches." Ace ignored Deuce and went to talk to the person handing out the food

"Hey! You're cutting in line too!" Deuce complained

"Rats. Looks like I'm late for the monthly bakery battle royale.
And now they're sold out of the grilled cheese Leona sent me to buy for him." A voice came from behind y/n.

She tensed up and grabbed hold of her pan..(which Crowley had given back to her with great reluctance).

"Myahahaha! I'm gonna savor the flavor of this victory!" Grim bragged, bringing the sandwich up to his mouth, only for it to stop halfway up as the voice y/n had heard earlier spoke.

"Pardon me, friend. I see you were able to get your hands on the highly-prized deluxe cheese sandwich. Incredible!" A person with brown hair fading into blonde, blue eyes and brown cat like ears, spoke.

"Hm? Who're you and whaddaya want with my meat?" Grim scowled at being stopped from eating his sandwich

"Oh, I'm just a guy who really, really wanted to buy that sandwich you've got there, but arrived a smidge too late.
Speaking of which, here's a proposition for you...
Might you be willing to trade your deluxe grilled cheese for this very exciting hot dog bun?" Ruggie spoke with a smile, holding out a sorry excuse of a hot dog bun.

"Whaaat?! You must be outta your mind, dude!" Grim exclaimed

"Oh, come now. Let's not be like that. Here, have the hot dog bun. I insist." Rubies stretched out his arm some more and Grims arm begun to move, holding out the sandwich.

"Myah? What in the name of tuna...?! My paws are movin' on their own!"
Grims arm shook as it moved towards ruggie.

"...huh?" Y/n spoke in confusion, Grim was never someone who gave stuff to people, especially not food.

"Sounds like we have ourselves a deal! Shyeheehee!
What luck that I found a kind soul willing to trade. You enjoy that hot dog bun, I do hope you can find something to fill it with.
Maybe a squirt of ketchup would imitate the real thing? Anyway, nice doing business with you. Toodles!"

Ruggie waved his fingers and blew a kiss over to y/n as he skipped away.
The group was left completely astonished and befuddled.
Ace even had his jaw hanging.

"M... M... Myaaaaaaah! My deluxe grilled cheeeeeeese!
Aw, maaan... *sniff* This is *munch* the worst day *munch* of my pathetic life!
I can barely *munch* choke down my lunch!"

Grim started crying.
Y/n stared at Grim in confusion.
Why trade your food if your going to cry about it later...surely it wasn't out of the goodness of his heart?

"You just ate three pastries in ten seconds." Ace commented, pointing at the sloppy eating Grim

"I still don't get why you even traded at all." Deuce added
Y/n nodded her head in agreement.

" I didn't! It's like, when he put out his hand, my paw just shot out—like it was copyin' his!
It all happened so fast..." Grim sulked

"  Like a deer caught in the sandwich-stealing headlights." Ace nodded along

"  Nah, it wasn't like that at all. But I...I don't know how to explain it!
Ugh, this stinks. I need to eat my feelings, stat! Deuce, gimme a bite of your pasta." Grim whined, crossing his arms and attempting to snag Deuces pasta

"No way! You made your "bread," now lie in it!" Deuce spoke, pulling his plate away from Grim.

"Oh, by the way, guys—the headmage said he had something he wanted to tell us after class.
No clue what it could be, though." Ace remembered

"It probably has something to do with what happened to Housewarden Rosehearts a few days ago." Deuce answered.

" When he went all berserker mode on us? Yeah, I bet you're right."

" Maybe he wants to lavish me with a smorgasbord of succulent fish for all of my hard work that day!" Grim perked up while y/n kissed her teeth knowing that wasn't the case.

"Yeah, dream on, furball." Ace shattered Grims impossible dream

"There's something off about that guy from before..." y/n spoke up

"SEE!" Grim cheered only to sulk again when she continued

"I have a feeling he might be an actual cannibal..."

*Deuce spits out water*
"SO YOU MEAN THAT EVERYONE ELSE YOU ASK IS JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO!??"

——————-

"Leooona! Lunch is served, my friend!" Ruggie hopped over to the man lazing in the botanical garden.

"...Is it noon already?" The man called Leona asked.

"Don't tell me you've been asleep all morning! You're going to fail more of your core classes!" Ruggie scolded the lion

"  sniff* *sniff* Smells like you actually got what I asked ya for!" Leona pulled himself up towards his food.

"Barely! Must you always request the most popular item on bakery day?
Anyway, here: one deluxe grilled cheese and an iced tea." Ruggie complained, handing Leona the food.

"Are ya braindead? The fact that it's hard to get is exactly what makes me want it so bad!"

" Me, I'll eat anything, so long as it isn't moldy.
But as a prince, I doubt you could relate, Your Highness." Ruggie scowled

"Hmph.
It ain't like I'm first in line for succession. I'm second, so I probably won't ever be king. I'm practically a commoner, really." Leona hissed in hatred but pretended to act unbothered

" That reminds me of the time you mistook a picture of my family's home for a doghouse." Ruggie sulked as Leona turned to him in confusion

"Did I...really do that?"

"  You really did. I wish my perspective was so warped from a life of luxury." Ruggie cried

"Nah, the royal life stinks, honestly.
All that matters is the order of your birth. Hard work and talent basically mean nothin'."

"Hmmm... I guess I could see that being a drag." The hyena agreed.

"Oh, by the way, there's a housewarden meeting after school today about the Spelldrive tournament. Please try to actually show up." Ruggie pleaded

"Ugh. What a headache." Leona rolled away from Ruggie, annoyed with his constant pampering

"As the housewarden, you get the biggest room in the dorm. You could at least make a token effort to do the corresponding job."

"  All right already. Fine. Stop whinin'.
Ahhh... Now that my belly's full, I'm ready for another snooze. Wake me after lunch break is over." Leona once again rolled into the bushes of the botanic garden and ignored Ruggies further whines

" I'm not your alarm clock, Leona! You know I have my own—ah, he's already out.
*sigh*
Anyway, that weasel in the cafeteria and his freshman friends... Where have I seen them before?"

———————-
Words this chapter; 1189