Chapter 17

Max's POV

      I had never really talked much to Brenna. We did the usual smiling, waving, being polite to each other, but we never had the chance to actually sit down and talk. She was really beautiful though. That smile, those eyes, her beautiful long hair. She wasn't really the kind of girl I went for, but she was just breathtaking. 

      After she blew up on Siva, he didn't want to go upstairs and check on her, neither did the others. Tom just had this guilty look on his face, I still don't know what he did to her, but it was none of my business. I figured since I can relate to her more than anyone knows, I'd go upstairs and check on her.

      I slowly made my way up the stairs and knocked on her door. She didn't answer after a moment so I took it upon myself to just walk in. "Get out, Seev, I'm done," she said, her voice muffled by the pillow.

    "It's not Siva, it's me, Max." I closed the door behind me and made my way towards her, sitting next to her on the bed. She picked up her head and looked at me. My heart broke a bit at the sight. Her eyes were red and puffy, dry tears stained her cheeks, the pillow was covered in all her tears.

    "Did Siva send you up here to talk to me?" she choked out as she sat up and faced me. I shook my head. "I actually came up here to talk to you. I understand what you're going through, and I can say that and actually mean it."

    She shot me a confused expression and shifted so she was sitting at the edge of the bed next to me. Her feet were hanging off the side of the bed and we were both facing the door. Her voice was low but I could still hear her. "What are you talking about?"

    I turned my body so I was facing her and sigh heavily. "Well, when I was about sixteen I was really close with my cousin. He was only a year younger than me but we were just the closest out of the family. I told him everything and he told me everything. He was the only one who really understood me and he's actually the reason I pursued a career in singing. Without him, I'd probably either be cooped up in my house or dead." Her eyes went slightly wide but I just chuckled and continued. 

    "One day I went over his house and he just wasn't his cheery self, neither were my aunt and uncle. I tried talking to him, tried to figure out what was wrong but he just kept avoiding the subject. But one day he just started crying. I sat with him for hours just comforting him until he turned to me and just flat out told me that he had cancer." I started tearing up as flashbacks played in my mind of that day. 

    "I went with him to every doctor's visit, every chemo therapy session. I sat with him when he needed someone and listened to him talk for hours on end. I just wanted him to know I was there for him and he could depend on me." I looked to the floor, trying my hardest not to cry and scratched my head. "He died the day after his seventeenth birthday. I think I was the one who took it the hardest. I just couldn't come to terms with the fact that my best friend was gone, and so I turned to other things to help me.

    "I started drinking heavily. I barely went to school so my grades slipped. I blocked everyone out who tried to help me and I just kept to myself." I turned and faced her, looking her in the eyes. "I don't want you to do the same. I don't want you to go down this path of destruction. I know you're hurt, but in order for the pain to go away, you need to let others help you. We're all here for you, Brenna. Let us help you."

     At first, her face was blank, no emotion whatsoever. But then she wrapped her arms around my waist and started crying. I didn't even think twice when I wrapped my arms around her small frame and rocked her gently back and forth. "It just hurts so bad," she sobbed into my chest.

    We sat there for about three and a half hours. All I did was sit there and listen to her, wipe her tears when she cried, even shed a few tears myself. We reminisced about the good times in our loved ones lives and how they've helped us. It just felt right being with her. 

    "Why don't you let me take you out for a cuppa tomorrow? My treat. And if you don't want to leave the comfort of the flat, we can order take out and just watch a film." I smiled and waited for her to answer.

    After a few seconds, she smiled sweetly at me and nodded. "A cuppa sounds nice."