A Dilemma

A/N: For the people who keep messaging me, asking where I get the images in the top of the chapters. I get them from various places, but my favourite site is Pexels. It is a site where people can post images they take, and people can use it to get free photos. They aren't subject to copyright which is good for a writer like myself. Also, most of the time, the photo on the top doesn't really connect with the story, I just think it looks cool and fits with the aesthetic. Anyway, I hope you guys are enjoying my story! We are currently #5 in Drarry Fanfics!!! Thank you so much!! Enjoy!

I sat in the library with my legs crossed. I was doing research for an assignment that Professor McGonagall had set. But I just couldn't concentrate. Xavier's words were ringing in my ears. I know he's been through a lot but surely, he could've been a little kinder and more respectful. Then again, he was Potter. And he thought anyone on the Dark Lord's side was a piece of shit.

I kept mulling over that until something occurred to me. I stood up and ran toward Snape's office. I burst in and panted loudly.

"Draco?"

I took a deep breath and sighed.

"What potions was Xavier under the influence of?"

Snape sat back in his seat and crossed his hands on his lap.

"A whole cocktail really. Loyalty Potion, Aging Potion, Calming Draught, Ammortentia, Forgetfulness Potion, Gregory's Unctuous Unction, Elixir to Induce Euphoria, Volubilis Potion, Weakness Potion and occasionally Polyjuice. And that's not counting all the times he had to go to Madam Pomfrey's to get healed using potions."

I felt my breath catch in my throat.

"Wait, so the day after he woke up, all the effects of those potions were gone?"

Snape nodded and narrowed his eyes.

"Why?"

I sat down in the chair in front of his desk and looked at my feet. I felt so ashamed. Most of those potions were potent. So potent that we weren't allowed to brew them at Hogwarts. I told him about what Xavier what had said before he'd flown away.

"Draco, you can be idiotic sometimes."

I sighed and rubbed my forearm.

"I know. But surely losing some of those potions couldn't have been that bad."

Snape sat up.

"Some yes. But others would've been extremely painful. Like the Euphoria Elixir and the Calming Drought. Those two were used quite often. Imagine lying in a dark room with relaxing music and you feel completely relaxed. Now imagine the music changes to plates smashing and nails on chalkboard. And the room starts to flash bright neon colours. It would've been awful to go from such a calming environment into a stressful and depressing world."

I wrung my hands.

"Now imagine that happening for over 15 years of your life. That is why Harry Potter's mood seemed to change with the tides. That is why he would seem perfectly calm in life threatening situations and anxious in normal situations. I'm actually quite disappointed that I'd never figured this out before. Originally I just thought he might've been suffering from a form of PTSD or Bipolar Disorder."

I slumped over. Now I felt like shit. All those years of tormenting him because I thought he thought he was better than me. That he was above me. Was because he did, but only because of potions.

"I feel horrible."

He scoffed and rubbed his chin.

"I get it, you despised Harry Potter. He was horrible to you when he first arrived at Hogwarts. But to be fair to him, you insulted the only friends he's ever had, and he only disliked you on the first day due to the potions. Though I can't account for the rest of the time you've known each other."

I frowned and shrugged.

"I was only horrible to him because he was rude to me on the first day. Plus, after The Dark Lord came back, he always talked about hating Potter. He is one of the, if not THE, most powerful wizard of this century. When I was younger I wanted to be exactly like him, which meant hating Potter."

Snape nodded and stood up, pushing his chair back.

"Well, what's done is done. The best thing we can hope for now is that he comes back."

I nodded and left his office. I walked all the way back to my dorm in complete silence. I hadn't even thought about the potions he'd been under until just now. As I walked into the common room, I realized that a few people were staring at me.

"What?"

A few of the first years looked down at their hands, not bold enough to look me in the eyes. I walked over to one of the scrawny second year students and snapped.

"Why is everyone looking at me?"

The second year's eyes flew open, and his bottom lip quivered.

"T-There was a w-wolf in y-y-your dorm. H-He almost a-a-attacked s-someone."

I sighed and ran up to my dorm room, hearing shouting and growling from inside. I flung the dorm open and saw Obsidian pinning Blaise to the ground.

"OBSIDIAN GET OFF HIM."

I lunged at him and pulled him off Blaise. He snarled but didn't struggle against my grip.

"WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED?"

I glared at all three of the people in my room, a Third Year, Blaise and Pansy. Blaise rubbed his bruised arm and pointed at the Third Year.

"This idiot went into the wrong dorm room while that fucking dog was in here. She screamed so I ran up to see what was going on, and when I pulled my wand out, the mutt attacked me."

I sighed and looked at Obsidian. I groaned as I realized there was a note on my bed. I snatched it and read my mother's neat handwriting.

'He is not my responsibility Draco. He's your gift, you deal with him.'

I shooed the Third Year out of the room.

"Blaise, Pansy, meet Obsidian. Snape got found him and gave him to me as a birthday present."

Obsidian looked at them and snarled. Clearly, he wasn't a fan of them.

"Draco why is he here? We aren't allowed dogs."

Obsidian snarled again and barked.

"He's not a dog, he's a wolf and I have to take care of him because apparently my mother won't do it."

Pansy and Blaise rolled their eyes and left the room. Probably not bothering with the conversation anymore. I eyed Obsidian and crossed my arms.

"You can't just attack people. You'll get both me and you in huge fucking trouble. Got it?"

Obsidian stared at me for a few minutes before he huffed in my face and turned away. He jumped onto my bed and curled up. I rolled my eyes and took a seat next to him. This was going to be a long week.

-Xavier P.O.V.-

Draco looked defeated and exhausted. I felt another twinge of guilt. What was wrong with me? Suddenly I was feeling guilty about giving the ferret what he deserved. He torments me for years and all I do is tease him a little and he gets all teary eyed. No, I refuse to feel bad about it. He deserves this. Stupid Malfoy and his stupid sadness. So selfish.

I turned away from him and ignored his small sniffles...

Stupid Malfoy.

I hopped back off the bed and walked over to him. I begrudgingly plopped onto his feet and lay down. I barked at him and turned my head. C'mon stupid. Get happy so I can stop feeling bad for no reason. He smiled and chuckled. He tentatively reached out a hand and scratched my head. I fought back to urge to bite him and stood still. He reached out with both hands and cupped my face. Rubbing my jaw slowly. I fought the urge to stay awake, but him petting me was making me sleepy. I leaned my head against his leg and let sleep envelop me as Stupid Malfoy kept scratching my jaw.