"That was too close for comfort. Come on, let's go."

He took her hand and strode on down the corridor, finding their way to the taxiway. Stepping out into the daylight he looked around the wide open airfield. The cargo planes were at the far end. The quickest way to get there would be to walk straight across between the parked jets, but it was also the most exposed.

The safest way would be to take the road which skirted round the outside. There was an airport buggy parked up to their left. He jumped on and punched the accelerator. The little cart sprang into motion, the electric motor whirring. He didn't want to draw unnecessary attention, so he slowed up.

The road swept round the edge of the airport apron and came to the rear side of the cargo hangars. He brought the little buggy to a stop next to the large and they hopped off. A cargo plane was parked up inside and several flight crates were dotted around.

He poked his head around the huge doors and looked about. There was no one in sight. He was not sure if he should go in or not. They'd come this far, so there was no turning back now. Yellow lines on the ground marked out the walkway. He went inside and followed them round the edge of the hangar.

There was an office half way along, but the lights were off. He peered inside and a dark figure appeared. He froze. The lights came on and he almost jumped.

"Andrés? I didn't expect to see you here."

"I look after César's interests in the region. He ships air freight from here. How else did you think he was getting you out?"

He sighed and his shoulders relaxed. "I'm very glad to see you."

"The flight doesn't leave until tonight. You look exhausted. Come, get some rest."

Andrés led them further into the hangar then opened a door. It was a store room.

"The cartel is already out looking for you." He led them inside and stopped next to a vent. "I don't think they've found your decoy yet. But to be safe, you should hide in here."

Kyle looked down and Andrés took the vent cover off.

He pointed at the small hole. "In there?"

Andrés did not respond. He stared Kyle in the eye with a blank expression. Trudie shrugged and crawled into the space. Kyle sighed. What other choice did he have? He got onto his knees and followed Trudie into the cavity.

"Oh. It's surprisingly spacious."

Andrés bent down and peered inside. "You're not the first human cargo César has transported." He placed the vent back on, concealing them inside. He lay back onto one of the small mattresses in the hideout and Trudie cuddled up next to him. There was enough room for them both to lay out and headroom to sit upright.

The mattress was not too comfortable but sleep came easily once his eyes were closed and the smell of Trudie's hair filled his nostrils, like a comforting aroma. Exhaustion took over and he was out like a light. He must have slept for a few hours, as his body was rigid and aching when he woke up.

There were raised voices outside the door and Trudie stirred. Kyle looked at her with his finger raised up to his lips. The storeroom door opened and he held his breath. Although they were tucked away out of sight, he was still afraid of being found.

He could recognise Andrés's voice in the mix. It sounded like there were several people out there. The sound of a phone ringing cut off the shouting. One of the men answered it and began talking in a softer voice. The commotion returned but diminished in volume, then the door swung shut.

Moments later Andrés returned and removed the vent again.

"That was the cartel. Perhaps they suspect César is connected somehow. Anyway they found your decoy. I think you may be safe to come out."

He crawled out, followed by Trudie. "How long until we can fly out of here?"

"Not long. We will load the plane soon. Stretch your legs and use the toilet. It might be your last opportunity for a while."

He walked back out into the hangar and followed the path back to the doors. Trudie came up beside him and he put his arm around her. The sun was setting, floating in the rippling heat haze over the city. Kyle and Trudie watched the pale lilac hue of the horizon slowly fade to deep purple, tinged with orange.

They only had a few minutes of peace before Andrés called them back over. He was standing next to an open pallet crate. It was a large metal box, big enough for them to lie down in or sit up, but hunched.

Trudie climbed in first, then Kyle. There was some padding and a blanket in there for them. As well as some food and drink to keep them going. Andrés shut them in and then wheeled the crate onto a conveyor.

They were jostled around a little while the conveyor moved them along onto a scissor lift. The crate bumped when it raised up then bumped when it stopped. They were jostled sideways again and the light dimmed. They must be inside the plane fuselage. The crate bumped to a stop and then there was silence.

A few more pallets were loaded into the plane before the doors were secured shut. More minutes passed before the engines were fired up and it was longer still until the plane came into motion.

Every minute was agony while they sat in the darkness, feeling the motion of the plane trundling along the taxiway. The engine noise grew again, this time to a powerful rumble. The thrust kicked in and Kyle felt himself forced backwards. Trudie gripped him in her arms as the plane stormed down the runway.

Then the moment came. He felt the nose pitch up and the wheels lift off the ground. They were airbourne. The final phase was complete. His face split into a wide smile and pulled Trudie in for a kiss. Come morning they would touch down in the US. One connection onward to LAX and then they would board the final flight to Fiji. That would be the end, leaving their old lives behind forever.