Chapter 29

Footsteps approached from outside the cell door and hope grew a littling in Kyle's chest as they got louder. The steps then began to diminish. Each time he heard the steps of someone he dreaded that they were coming for him. He knew no one was coming to rescue him, or bribe the police chief to let him off.

He had spent the night in a cell after his arrest at Casa Fortuna. The police took the possessions he was carrying - only his wallet and phone. They dressed him in a prison jumpsuit and his clothes were also taken away.

The mattress in his cell was not comfortable. It had a plastic covering which stuck to any of his bare skin while he lay on it, causing him to sweat and stick to it more. The heart in the cell was unbearable as there was very little air movement. Was this was Emilio

Steps approached from along the corridor. He wished he could peer beyond the metal door and see what was going on. The footsteps stopped and metal keys began to jangle. He heard the scrape of the key pushed into the lock on his door. Dread filled in him. The lock mechanism clanked when the handle was turned and the door swung open.

It was the police chief. The same one he bribed to get Emilio's charges dropped. He wore a smug grin. "Hola Inglés. It looks like your stay here will be short."

Had someone posted his bail? He tried not to let himself believe it.

"You will be transferred to a penitentiary until your trial." It was like a punch to the guts. "No way for you to buy your way out this time amigo. We don't accept bribes for murder charge."

The police chief all but spat on the floor when the words left his mouth. So they were charging him for Emilio's murder. This wasn't about the robbery. Eddy must have ratted him in. Lied about it to get Kyle out the way, so he could swoop in and steal Trudie.

He turned to leave. "Oh. You have a visitor."

Who could that be? His mind raced through all the possibilities. Was it Uncle Joe? Had he set him up to coerce him into stealing for him again. Or worse going back to London with him. Was it Mama Elvira? Had she been told that Kyle was the one who killed her son and now she was there to confront him?

A dark figure stepped into the doorway. When they stepped through into the light he did not recognise the man. They were around five feet tall, with close cropped hair which was black but heavily greying around the temples. One thing that stood out to him was the quality cut of his grey suit. Then it clicked. He'd seen this man before.

"Hey kid. It's Kyle right?" The southern American twang in his voice was distinct.

"Yeah. And your Connor Jacks."

"I understand you're someone special to my baby girl, Trudie. It's for her sake that I'm here today." He began to pace the room. "I have business with Señor Baldo, and I'm not going to jeopardise that by doing something stupid, like insulting him by bailing you out. But I asked him for a favour."

Kyle squinted, searching for meaning behind Connor's eyes.

"Trudie. Get in here."

She stepped into the cell, looking timid behind her father.

"Make it quick." Connor left them alone in the cell.

She ran over to him and threw her arms around him, burying her face in his chest.

He kissed her. "I didn't think I'd ever see you again. Are you hurt? What happened last night?"

She ran her soft fingers down his arms "Yeah I'm fine. Forget me babe, are you ok?

He nodded and shrugged. "Under the circumstances. So that's your dad then?"

Her eyes fell to the floor. "I'm so stupid. I should have listened to you before when you warned me. I was careless. It's my fault you're here."