Chapter 12

Kyle woke up with a face full of hair. Trudie was hugged right up to him with an arm around his chest and a bent leg draped over his legs. She looked peaceful lying there asleep. He knew if he moved she would stir. Not wanting to disturb her there was no going anywhere. He was stuck until she woke up. Not that he had anywhere to be.

Staring up at the stationary ceiling fan, he lay motionless, one arm pinned beneath her shoulder. It was growing numb. At some point he knew he would have to extricate himself from under her.

At last she moved and he yanked his arm back, pumping his hand into a fist several times to bring the feeling back. She yawned and turned to look up at him, her eyes sparkling in the morning sun.

He smiled at her. "Morning sleepy head."

"How long have you been awake?"

"I dunno. Not that long."

She stretched and yawned again. "You want breakfast?" She left the bed and put on a black satin dressing gown which barely covered her arse.

He caught himself looking and snapped his eyes back up to meet hers.

He grinned and nodded "Please," then followed her out into the kitchen.

She started to cook them an egg and rashers of bacon. "What are you gonna do about the heist?"

He took a seat on the sofa. "Emilio says he knows a guy..."

"A guy?" she laughed. "Sounds dubious. But it's a start I guess. You should call him and set something up." She was right of course. What other option was there? He took out his phone and dialled Emilio.

The call connected. "What the fuck do you want?"

"Bloody charming Emilio. What are you doing?"

"I'm at the boat shed, giving this baby a lick of paint."

He laughed. "So drinking beer then. I'll swing by in a bit."

"Ok homes." The line cut. Trudie was looking over at him like a meerkat, waiting for the news.

He met her gaze and cocked an eyebrow. "Did you want to come–"

"Yes."

Breakfast was presented to him on a plate - a fried egg and three rashers of bacon all piled onto some partially buttered toast. She handed him a glass of orange juice then took the spot next to him on the sofa. Once they had scoffed down the food and slurped up the orange juice, they dressed and went out to meet Emilio.

He parked up his bike next to the boat shed and led Trudie down the side to where the open doors faced onto the launch ramp. Emilio was sitting on an upturned metal bucket, surrounded by various paint pots at the back end of the boat. He had not spotted them arrive. Kyle approached, not making a sound until he stood right behind him. With a swift jab he kicked the bucket.

Emilio's arms flew up into the air. "¡Uy!" He shot to his feet and spun round. "Bastardo. I almost shit myself." Kyle was bent over, howling. Emilio's eyes widened when he saw Trudie standing behind. "Dios mio. You must be Trudie. Sorry for my language."

She smiled. "Lovely to meet you Emilio. I've heard a lot about you."

"You're far too pretty for this cabron." Emilio slapped Kyle in the stomach. "What did you want then amigo?"

"You said you knew a guy."

Emilio chuckled. "Oh he comes crawling back to me. You told him it was a good idea, I bet Trudie."

He rolled his eyes. "Are you gonna help or not?"

"Si, si. Come with me." Emilio wiped his hands with an old rag and led them back out of the boat shed. They walked back along the main road, down the side of the lake then down a dirt track behind a group of houses.