Chapter 22

His phone buzzed. The aggressive rattle against the stone worktop of Hector's bar made Kyle jump. It took a lot of control not to grab it. He needed to seem calm to Hector, but he hoped it was César calling. It was Emilio.

"Hola Emilio."

"Nice to hear from you too."

"Say what you have to say or get off the line."

"You need to relax, hombre. I was thinking of taking the boat out. Doing some fishing. I think you could use the distraction."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I've been thinking a lot about it lately."

"Ok amigo. See you in ten." He put the phone down and tried to keep a neutral expression.

He arrived at the lake and Emilio already had the boat in the water. "Isn't she a beauty? I should have done this ages ago." Two fishing rods were already aboard, leaning against a bar at the of the boat. Emilio grabbed his coolbox and stepped onto the boat. Kyle jumped on too and Emilio revved the engine. The boat went forward and the bow dipped momentarily.

Emilio took them out into the middle of the lake. They set up the rods, casting the lines, then they sat down and cracked a beer.

"I think my father would be happy to see me using the boat."

Kyle held up his bottle. "To your father's memory."

Emilio clinked his glass. "Gracias amigo."

"Are there even fish in this lake?"

Emilio laughed. "I have no idea."

Kyle's phone began to buzz in his pocket. He pulled it out. "Withheld number.It's probably César."

"You better answer it then."

He tried to steady his shaking hand. "Hola."

"Kyle. The warehouse tonight." The line cut.

Emilio stared at him. "Well?"

"Tonight." He breathed hard and took a long swig of his beer. "Can I take your truck again?"

"Si, of course hermano."

The anxiety of waiting for César's call had subsided but new worries were building. What if the money wasn't enough. What if César had double crossed him. He tried to ignore the thoughts. The placid water of the lake should have been calming but it isolated him from any distractions.

He grabbed another beer from the cool box and messaged Trudie, to let her know about the meeting later. He wanted it to be over so he could pay Joe and put it all behind him. Trudie replied to his text.

"Fabulous."

He remembered his promise. They would talk about what happens next. Would he leave town with her and run away, or remain in the city with his friends. At the time he was preoccupied with the heist so he didn't think about it. Now that chicken would come home to roost.

And Emilio said that fishing would be relaxing.

* * *

Kyle beeped the horn. Somehow it almost sounded like Emilio. The tone and pitch matched the noise he made when Kyle said something to insult him, and he couldn't think of a response. He beeped again, amused by this new revelation.

Trudie darted out of the door, her skirt and hair a flurry in the breeze rolling up the alleyway outside Casa Fortuna.

She jumped in. "Hey." She was a little out of breath, probably from running down from her flat.