Chapter 28

Kyle lay on Trudie's couch, with a half empty bottle of whiskey in his hands. Had he really drunk all that to himself? He couldn't remember. After news got round the barrio of Emilio's death, neighbours began to pour into Elvira's house. Everyone came to offer their condolences and support.

He made himself scarce. Elvira had her friends there from years of living in the neighbourhood to support her. He didn't want the attention on him. He felt guilty for leaving her, but she was understanding when he wanted to go. She was always so caring to him. He needed space to grieve and she knew to let him have it.

What had he done all day, other than lie there moping and swilling whiskey? His hand slumped to the floor and he dropped the bottle. He was empty inside, with Emilio's twisted face and bulging eyeballs imprinted on his mind. He should be there helping Mama Elvira. There were funeral arrangements to be made and he could not leave her on her own to manage it.

Trudie walked in from the bedroom wearing her long black dress. Her face was made up and her hair elegantly styled. She looked beautiful.

She looked at him with her head tilted over. "Why don't you come down with me?

Watch me sing. You could use the distraction."

He wanted to. And he did need the distraction. But the effort of dragging himself off the couch felt like too much. There was a weight sitting on his chest, crushing him down into the spot and stopping him from moving.

She came over and pulled him by the arm. "Come on. It will be good for you."

He sat up and sighed. "You're right, I know."

With all his effort, he pushed himself onto his feet. His head was clouded by whiskey and grief. He rubbed his eyes with the palm of his hand and breathed deep, preparing himself to exert a modicum of effort. Trudie smiled at him and reached out, taking his hand in hers.

She placed a gentle kiss on his cheek. "Go wash your face. You'll feel better."

He walked over to the bathroom and looked at his face in the mirror. The emptiness inside him was immense. He ran his hands through his hair and sighed. He was no stranger to death. It was in his life from a young age. He found his own mother's dead body slumped over the couch, with a needle sticking out of her arm. He felt nothing back then. But now he'd lost someone he truly cared about.

He turned on the tap and let the water run before splashing it over his face. The cold water was soothing on his skin. The dried tears had left his face feeling sore. He left the bathroom and she smiled at him with loving eyes but he could feel her pity too.

She held out her hand to take his. "Come on, let's go."

Casa Fortuna was empty. The night was still young and no one had stumbled off the streets into the club yet. He took a spot at the bar and ordered a whiskey. The musicians were setting up on stage. Trudie went behind the curtain at the back and started her vocal warm ups.

A few people started to come in - mostly older couples he'd seen there before. The musicians took up a tune and played, like they always did before Trudie came out and sang. They were her warm up act in a way.

Armed police streamed in through the door and surrounded him. They began shouting in Spanish and pointing their pistols at him. In the commotion the music stopped and all eyes were on him. In his daze he froze, stuck still in place with his glass in hand. He put the glass down slowly and stood up, putting his hands above his head. At that moment he saw Eddy Vega slither into the club with a smug grin on his face. Anger stirred inside him. He wanted to run over and beat that grin from his lips. His hands started to shake and his teeth ached while he gritted his teeth.

The curtain whipped up and Trudie ran out on stage. Her face dropped and she gasped, then she spotted Eddy.

"What the fuck did you do Eddy?"

He flicked a burned out cigarette on the floor. "Now, now Trudie baby. Your daddy sent me to get you, that's all."

A police officer grabbed Kyle's hands and thrust them behind his back, shackling them together in handcuffs. Trudie looked at him with a hopeless stare.

Eddy walked up and gripped her arm.

She snatched it away. "Get your fucking hands off me you snake."

Ths smug grin was wiped from Eddy's face. "Do as your father asks."

He grabbed her arm again and twisted it behind her back. She yelped.

Kyle instantly struggled against the officer holding him. "Leave her alone!" He tried to wriggle free and run over to her. Something hard struck the back of his head and he fell to his knees. The officer pushed him forward, flat on the ground and leaned his weight down to stop him from moving. He squirmed but he could not move. The weight on his back made it hard to breathe. With his cheek squished down onto the floor, he locked eyes with Trudie. He was helpless to do anything and could only watch the fear in her eyes while Eddy dragged her way out of the club.