Chapter 32

Kyle agitated at the tie round his neck and pulled at the tight collar. He was not used to wearing formal clothes or having a constricted neck. It was also warm and he was sweating under the layers. It was a discomfort he wouldn't have to endure for too long. But it was for Emilio, so he would make the sacrifice.

Mama Elvira checked her watch for the hundredth time and rocked from foot to foot. He put his arm around her shoulders to comfort her, but he knew why she was anxious.

"She'll come Mama. I know she will."

"Si, I'm just nervous."

The whole of the barrio had turned up to pay their respects. It was a sea of people in black suits and dresses. Many faces he had never seen before, all of them looking sombre. Emilio's cousin Miguel and his family had come down from Tampico too. They were staying with Elvira. He was glad she had family around to look after her.

The coffin was in the back of the hearse. The wooden box holding his best friend. He would be carrying him to his final resting place on his shoulder, with a few of his fellow stevedores from the docks.

The priest walked up with his hands clasped together in front of him and bowed his head. His eyes spoke the words his lips did not.

"Five more minutes? Please."

"Ok. Five minutes, but no longer. I am sorry." He bowed his head again and withdrew.

Where was she? He knew she would not miss it out of choice - only if Connor had backed out on his deal.

He adjusted his suit. It was brand new and the material was still stiff. He bought it specially for the funeral. It wasn't a great fit but time wasn't a luxury he had.

A black car rolled up and the door flung open. Trudie leapt out and scurried over, wearing a modest black dress with her hair styled up into a neat bun.

She kissed Elvira on the cheeks. "Mama, I'm so sorry for being late."

"No chica. I'm just happy you came at all."

His breath caught in his throat. She was too good of a person. How had life dealt her such a cruel hand. He swallowed down the feeling and held back the tears. Elvira turned to the priest and nodded.

Kyle took his place at the back of the hearse with the three stevedores. The coffin rolled out and they lifted it up onto their shoulders. He bore the weight of Emilio on his shoulders, with the weight of his emotions. The sea of black parted and opened up a channel to the cemetery gates, where the priest stood waiting.

They took a step forward, adjusting to walking whilst carrying the coffin. The first few steps were hesitant but they found their stride and reached the gates. The priest turned and led them into the sea of graves. Mama Elvira followed on behind the coffin, with Trudie holding her arm, and the rest of the mourners filed in behind them.

With each pace he could feel the emotion building in his chest and he felt his legs wobble. He dug deep to push it down and come through for Emilio. A single tear broke through and rolled down his cheek. He sniffed, trying to hold off more, but another broke out in his other eye.

Finally they reached the plot; right next to Emilio's father. This was meant to be for his mother when she eventually passed. It was not meant to be Emilio's resting place for many years yet. They set the coffin down on the ground. His arms were shaking and he was relieved to be unburdened. He didn't know how much further he would have been able to carry him.

Many in the crowd were also crying. He turned to Elvira who had streaks down her face and the emotion inside became too much to bear. He broke into tears, streaming from his eyes and his lip quivered.

The priest began his service but the words bounced off his ears. He gripped Trudie's hand tight and stared into the blurry distance through his tears. The talking stopped and he became aware of the silence. Nobody else moved. He could hear the sobbing from the crowd, then the coffin began to lower. Emilio was sinking into the ground, and soon he would be gone for good. This was their goodbye.

The top of the coffin disappeared below the ground. Elvira stepped forward and dropped a handful of soil into the hole. Kyle stepped forward and did the same, letting the grains of dirt run through his fingers.

After a few more words from the priest, the service was over. People began to disperse and head back to the gates. Only Elvira, Trudie and Kyle remained behind and watched the grave diggers fill in the rest of the hole. When they eventually left and walked back to the gates, most of the others had already gone. Miguel, Anna and their children were waiting. Outside the gates for Elvira.

A black car pulled up next to them and two suited men got out. They opened the back doors then stood clasping their hands in front of them, staring with blank faces at Kyle and Trudie. Elvira turned to him with worried eyes.

"Chico, what is this? You are coming, aren't you?"

His head dropped. "Mama. I wish I was, but I'm afraid I can't."

Her bottom lip began to quiver. "Who are these men?"

"I'm sorry Mama. It's better that you don't know."

"Trudie, talk some sense into him. Please. Don't let him go with them."

Trudie put her hand on Elvira's arm. "My hands are tied too."

Tears grew in Elvira's eyes and rolled down her cheeks. He walked over and embraced her in his arms.

"I will come back Mama, I promise." His words were soft in her ears.

"Just be careful chico."

"I will, don't worry."

She turned to Trudie and took a hand each of theirs in hers. "Look after each other, you two. Life is short and nothing is more important than family."

She put her arms around their necks and stroked the back of their heads. "Go then. I will pray for you both."

A small tear rolled down his face while he watched her walk away to join Miguel and Anna. Once Elvira had driven off, they climbed into the car with the cartel men. Kyle whipped off his tie and heaved a sigh of relief. They sped off, the tires screeching when they pulled away.

The car came to a stop at the yacht marina. Connor and Baldo were already there when they arrived. The sun was beaming down. He removed his jacket and rolled up his sleeves for some relief.

Baldo lifted his arms into the air at their arrival. "Bienvenidos Amigos."

His demeanour was vastly different to their last meeting. He was cheerful and relaxed - he even greeted them both with a warm hug. With the pleasantries out of the way, Baldo led the company down some steps and onto a pontoon jetty, which jutted out into the placid water. About half way along he stopped, then hopped aboard a sleek looking cabin cruiser. It was a modest sized ship at ten metres, compared to what Kyle had expected when Baldo first mentioned a yacht.

They all climbed aboard and found seats at the rear of the boat. Baldo ascended some steps to an upper level, then started up the boat's engines. A gentle nudge on the lever and the boat came into motion. It gracefully moved forward, away from the jetty. Once clear of the neighbouring boats, Baldo steered them into the wider channel and pointed the bow towards the marina exit.

The waves grew choppier as soon as the boat crossed the exit into open waters. Baldo opened up the throttle and the boat lunged forwards, bouncing off the waves and sending spray up into the air. The water was cool and refreshing on his skin. They pressed on further out to sea, approaching the islands just offshore from Veracruz. Baldo swept the boat on a big arc to go around one of them.

The island passed by beside them, then in the distance behind it, Kyle spotted another vessel. This one was much larger, more like a super yacht. The sudden realisation hit him. This little cabin cruiser was not the yacht Baldo was talking about, but merely a boat to reach his yacht. The huge floating palace they were now approaching was Baldo's yacht. A yacht that would not be out of place in somewhere like Monaco or Dubai. He was gobsmacked. Never in his life did he imagine he would ever set foot on a ship like that.