Chapter 9

The water of the lake up at San Julián was placid and serene, reflecting the grey sky. Kyle leaned against the corrugated metal wall of Emilio's boat shed. The rain had finally stopped and the air felt all the clearer for it. Emilio walked up carrying two bottles and an opener.

"I brought beer hombre. It sounded like you needed it."

"You didn't need an excuse to bring beer."

Emilio shrugged. "You're right. I'd have brought it anyway." They both chuckled. Emilio cracked the lids off and they sat down next to the slipway. He took a long swig and sighed.

Emilio put a hand on his shoulder. "Go on then amigo. Tell me what's got you all glum and mopey."

He hung his head. "Where do I begin?"

He explained the situation. Emilio was his brother and they shared everything. He trusted no one else more. When he first arrived in Veracruz, with nowhere to go he slept behind a container under the stars. Emilio found him the next day, took him in, fed him, and gave him a place to stay. Until he found a place of his own.

"This Angie sounds like a real foxy lady," Emilio bobbed his eyebrows. "But she played you like una guitarra. Sounds like you are royally fucked."

His head fell into his hands. "How the fuck am I gonna get the money?"

"You could try your luck at el casino?" Emilio shrugged. "You got enough left over to get you started. All you need is one big win."

"You've been watching too many movies. It's rigged. The casinos don't let you win that much. Plus the only casinos round here will be on the Roja's payroll.
"Oh shit," Emilio winced. "Better not then. Or I'll find your body floating in Laguna Real."

"All I know is picking pockets. I'd have to pick every fucking pocket in this wretched city to get even half of I need."

Emilio sat scratching his chin. "You need to steal something big. Get the full amount in one go. Un robo grande."

He raised an eyebrow, "You mean a heist?"

Emilio nodded. "If that's what you call it. Like that one back in London, with the diamonds."

He rolled his eyes. "Trouble is a heist needs a crew. People you can trust with your life. It takes weeks of planning. So much can go wrong. Then you gotta sell whatever you stole, which means you need to know the right people to buy stolen goods. I have none of these luxuries."

Emilio shrugged again. "Sounds like you've thought about it a lot. Hey, I could be on your–"

"No chance." He put up his hands. "I'm not getting you into crime. Mama would kill me. Besides, you already tried. Look how that turned out."

"Ok true, not me." Emilio laughed. "But if you change your mind I know someone. And he doesn't work for the cartel."

It was true, he had thought about it. But the last heist he was involved in upturned his whole world. It was too risky. There had to be another way to get the money. If only he could think of something.

He drained the bottle and flung it beside him. "Got anymore beer?"

"Should be some in the shed." It wasn't surprising. Emilio was never far from a source of beer. They got up and Emilio unlocked the padlock on the boat shed doors, then unwound the long chain. It was dark inside and musty. Emilio hadn't been down there in a few weeks. An old boat sat in the middle of the shed on a rusty old trailer. The paint was worn and the engine in pieces on a workbench at the back.

Kyle fanned the dust and cobwebs away. "Are you ever gonna use that thing?"

"Yeah of course. Someday."

He coughed. "How long have you had it now? Eighteen years?"

Emilio scowled. "Only fourteen."

"And how long did your old man have it before that?

"Maybe if you came once in a while we could go fishing." Emilio scowled at him, then grabbed a couple of beers from the beat up fridge in the back. After the boat shed was locked back up, they took up their spots next to the slipway again.

His phone started buzzing. Trudie was calling him. He sighed. The guilt tied his stomach into a knot. Emilio looked down at the phone screen.

"Oh, your other chica. Why aren't you answering?"

He took a deep breath and put the phone to his ear. "Hi."

"Hey. I was worried about you. Did you get my messages?"

"Yeah. Sorry. It's been a tough day."

"Is your friend Emilio okay?" She asked, with concern.

"Yeah that's all sorted. He's ok."

"You sound stressed. Is everything okay?"
He pinched the bridge of his nose and grimaced."It's kinda difficult. I'll explain some other time. What was it you called for?"

"They've given me the night off. I thought we could do something?"

"Yeah, sounds great. What did you have in mind?"

"You're the local boy. Maybe you could show me the city?"

He laughed. "Ok sure. I'll think of something. See you in a few hours then."

He hung up and dropped his head. The overwhelming guilt swept over him again. Emilio looked at him with his eyebrows fully raised. He didn't need to say anything, Kyle knew exactly what he was thinking.