Overworking

archiveofourown.org/works/21262895

A/N: While the fanfic that inspired the idea wasn't a Loki one instead one for Jame Conrad (A character Tom Hiddleston played). I reworked the idea to be more Loki had more angst in it.

The sounds of Madison typing away could be heard even across the room where Loki sat his face in a book. Glancing every so often to see his girlfriend Madison hunching over her computer on their bed. She had been like this recently. They rarely had time together recently not even a date this was usually the only time they have been able to spend together. Even then she reminds hunched with her computer in her face filling out the report from a mission as the glow of the computer showed her face. From what Loki could see she was stressed likely from working so hard. Not due to any of the Avengers, but due to someone else and it was because of that Madison was working so hard. Something that only came up about a week or so.

A Week Ago

Loki had been about to invite Madison out when he heard her mobile ring. The moment that Madison picked up the phone the once bright smile that was usually on her face was replaced with a frown. Her eyes usually shined so brightly no matter if they were bickering or if she was happy. Her eyes were only of the many things that Loki loved about her. Yet with each passing minute, her eyes got darker as hurt began to fill her eyes. Her once bright smile also began to fade into that dread fake smile that Loki hated to see. He tried to listen in, to piece together what was happening, rather than Madison talking instead it seemed the other side seemed to be talking more. Madison only chimed in every so often. "I know that he is doing that. Of course, I am making the most of my time. I understand I will do better." All during this Madison had a look Loki hadn't seen her wear in who knows how long along with the fake smile he hated. He wanted so much to wrap his arms around her, kiss her head, knuckles, and even fingertips and tell her everything will be okay. After Madison hung up the phone she continued to wear the wretched fake smile. "Sorry Loki, but could we go another time? It seems that I forgot I have more work to do."

"But love you promised."

"I know but I promise I will make it up. I just have some work to do. After all, not everyone can be like you and fill out our reports at godspeed."

Loki wanted to protest more but he knew if he did it he would lose. Maybe she does have some work she forgot this couldn't be because of a call right Loki tried to reassure himself. "Okay love just don't work too hard."

"I won't."

"Well I suppose I will leave you to it."

Madison got her computer out and started to work not even responding as Loki then went out and shut the door behind him. Trying not to worry about Madison but even his gut could tell something was wrong.

Present

Loki's gut had been right unfortunately because ever since that call Madison had been withdrawing from him. She kept wearing that fake smile of hers and he could swear he could hear soft cries from her door whenever he went to check on her. Red eyes yet every time he tried to ask she wore that fake smile he hated. This brings Loki to where he was now waiting to bring it up because of how worried he was becoming. She rarely got out of her room except for short missions and meals. Even then she rarely spoke even to him. Causing Loki to be even more worried than usual. With another click of the keys, Loki could hear. He slowly got up and walked over to the bed before sitting down on the bed. Madison didn't look up whatsoever her eyes red and black circles. Loki then went closer before carefully removing her computer from her lap and saving whatever he could. "Love."

Once her computer was taken she wore a pouty face on her face. "What do you want Friggason?" The last name of Loki that he had taken after his mother died and the only one she used when she was grumpy.