Chapter Forty-Two: January 27, 1989, and onward.

Sana's optimism prevailed as the flight landed and she disembarked. Mr Joestar had mentioned that Sana's mother would be waiting for her at the gate, but Sana didn't expect to see her mother there with wide, teary eyes and clasped hands as she waited, like she was desperate to see Sana again.

"Sana..!" her mother cried, shoving past everyone else and pulling Sana into the tightest hug she'd ever had. Sana still had Cryin' playing, because she didn't have time to pause it, and tried to focus on what her mother was saying through the lyrics. "Sana! Are you okay? Why haven't you called me in so long? You've cut your hair? I missed you- tell me you're alright-" Sana's mother suddenly let go and held Sana at arm's length, and Sana took the opportunity to pause the music. Sana's mother stared at her, like she was trying to inspect her daughter for any hint of discontent.

But, aside from her healing wounds, Sana was okay, or, at least, she felt okay for now. So she smiled. "Yes. I'm okay. And I called you as often as I could, we were busy."

Sana's mother didn't say a word and just pulled her back into the hug. Sana hugged her mother as tightly as she could with one arm. It didn't matter how cool she tried to play it. Sana had missed her mother, and now they'd been reunited, Sana was glad.

"I missed you," her mother whispered. Sana smiled softly.

"I missed you, too."

"If you'll excuse me for breaking up the moment..." Mr Joestar said. "We have cars waiting for us. If you'd like, we can take you with us and get someone else to drive your car home..."

"Absolutely not," Sana's mother said. "I'm going to take my own daughter home, Mr..?"

"Joseph Joestar. I'm Holly's father."

"You mean Seiko?" Sana's mother took Sana's good shoulder and steered her away. "Well, I suppose it's nice to finally meet you in the flesh, but I'm Sana and I are happy to go in our own car. I'm sure you, as a parent, understand."

"I do," Mr Joestar said, almost like he was taken aback. "But if you wanted to enjoy the ride home-"

"I'm sure I will anyway," Sana's mother said. "Thank you for offering, but I have to decline."

Sana's mother directed her away, and Sana didn't really have the energy to deal with it, so she raised a hand in farewell. Jotaro grinned, and Mr Joestar just stared. Sana glanced at her mother, who spoke. "So, Sana. Where are your bags?"

"I only have the handbag," Sana said.

"But you took a weekend bag with you. What happened to it?" her mother said, incredulous.

"It- uh, I lost it," Sana said. "I mean, I didn't lose it, but..." Sana paused. The bag was at the bottom of the Red Sea, and she didn't think she could explain that to her mother. "A coach company lost it."

"Typical," her mother sighed. "Well, I suppose I'll just carry the handbag for you, then."

"No," Sana said, a little too quickly. As far as Sana recalled, the handbag didn't have very much in it. One new walkman and one cassette tape in the front zip pocket. In the main body of the bag, there was a half-empty strawberry-flavoured gum. In the inner pocket were plastic-wrapped photos. Sana didn't quite want to let go of it, because her mother would probably ask questions, and then Sana would have to answer them.

"Hm. Well..." her mother regarded her for a moment. "Oh, Sana. I should have asked earlier. Are you going to be alright in the car..?"

"Hm?" Sana glanced at her mother.

"Mr Joestar said you'd gotten into a car accident. Do you not remember it..?" her mother's eyes widened. Sana mentally slapped herself. Someone had mentioned something about a car crash, but Sana was too full of pain meds to notice very much at the time. Mr Joestar had lied, and said they'd gotten into a car accident. A head-on collision that killed-