Chapter One: Sunday, 27 November 1988

Hayashi Sana splashed through the puddles on the road. She'd been late when she'd woken up, and now she was almost an hour late arriving at the Kujo residence. She so hoped that Ms Kujo wouldn't mind. Her feet pummelled the ground, and her socks were wet in her shoes, and the music blared in her ears as she sang along in her head. Already, she was forming an apology, a reason, anything to try and defend herself. She didn't want to let Ms Kujo down, but the most likely outcome would just be a laugh and an offer of tea. That was exactly why Sana didn't want to disappoint her. She was always so sweet and welcoming and generous that Sana felt terrible every time she didn't do well enough at something, because Ms Kujo deserved the best.

The residence came into view. The sprawling, beautiful complex that Sana had grown to think of as home, perhaps more than her own house. Sana sprinted through the gate and into the main house, where she knew Ms Kujo would be. Sana quickly tried to fix her hair, but it was probably too late for that, and her flushed cheeks would give the game away anyway. Anyone who looked at her would know that she'd run the whole way here.

Everything was strangely quiet at the residence. Sana's breaths slowed as she looked around. Ms Kujo wasn't in the kitchen, or the tea room, or the laundry room, or-

"Ah, Sana!" Ms Kujo called. "You're here already?"

Sana turned around. Ms Kujo was there, standing in her bedroom doorway, all dressed up and ready to go out. She looked nervous, her posture tense and her hands tightly closed around a bag handle. Sana's heart dropped. Something must have happened.

"Already? Ms Kujo, I'm late," Sana said, walking over. "Are you alright?"

"Oh- I must've lost track of time," Ms Kujo gave a weak smile. "Yes, I suppose I'm fine. I'm just a little worried about Jotaro."

Jotaro. Ms Kujo was always worrying about Jotaro. Even now, Sana could barely believe they were related. The kindest woman in the world, with a delinquent for a son that beat people up for fun, left restaurants with the check if he didn't like the food, and always referred to women as 'bitches'. What had he done this time?

"What happened to him?" Sana asked. She kept her tone quietly concerned and curious, though, to be honest, she didn't really care about what had happened. But if it bothered Ms Kujo, it had to matter, and Sana would treat the matter as such.

"He's in jail! The police called me this morning," Ms Kujo said, clutching a bag closely to her. "He's such a sweet boy, you know that. I don't know what's gotten into him!"

Sana would never describe Jotaro as "sweet", but she knew that Ms Kujo never really saw the side of him that Sana did. Sana spent most days with Jotaro, and disliked almost every minute of them. Although, in front of Ms Kujo, Sana learned to bite her tongue and not argue with him. It was only fair. To Ms Kujo, Jotaro and Sana were close friends.

Ms Kujo took a breath. "I'm going to go and pick him up. I'm sure it's all some kind of misunderstanding." She gave Sana a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Sana asked, before thinking. Ms Kujo was never down, never sad, never especially worried. Jotaro had been caught in things before, but she'd never seen Ms Kujo be this worried. To be fair, Jotaro had never been to jail before, just to the principal's office. He must've done something worse this time. Perhaps Ms Kujo was right to be worried for once.

"That's very kind of you, but-" Ms Kujo paused, and gave Sana a genuine smile. "I'm sure I'll be fine. My father is coming, too. He's just flown in from America- we'll be back here in a few hours, and you can make sure there are enough rooms prepared."