Chapter Thirty-Eight: Monday, January 16

D'Arby's batter walked up to the plate and instead of readying up, it pointed the bat straight at the pitcher. "This is going to be a home run. Keep your eye on the birdie, as I'll be hitting it into the left field bleachers!" D'Arby grinned, and Sana started pacing again. He was so sure of himself. So utterly confident. If his skill even remotely backed up his confidence, if it was at all similar in level... Sana didn't want to think about it. She just focused on the pacing again.

"Old man. Are you absolutely sure the game and console haven't been tampered with?" Jotaro asked, his eyes darting to his grandfather.

"Yeah. Positive it's clean, and that's not all. I haven't seen him make a single funny move, either," Mr Joestar said.

"Then that secret weapon has to be that Stand of his," Jotaro muttered. "It doesn't just take souls, but it must have some other ability."

D'Arby didn't waste a second before speaking. "And where might you be aiming now, Jotaro?" he asked, regarding Jotaro. "An inside pitch? Will you throw it high, or low, perhaps? Or maybe you're planning some kind of underhanded trick. Well?"

Jotaro didn't answer. He just pitched. D'Arby reacted perfectly, like he already knew what Jotaro was going to throw.

"What? He pulled back when Jotaro threw the ball!" Mr Joestar said, eyes wide. D'Arby only laughed as his batter hit the home run. "He- he predicted it! He knew exactly what would happen! But how? There's no way he could've seen that pitch coming unless he read Jotaro's mind!" Mr Joestar's voice shook.

"Does that still seem like such a strange theory?" Sana asked, resuming her pacing. She didn't know exactly when she'd stopped. She already regretted it.

"Hah. That's one run," D'Arby said.

"Damn this bastard..." Mr Joestar muttered.

D'Arby's batter pointed the bat again. D'Arby didn't say a word. He was fully focused on the screen, as if he was intently trying to figure something out. Sana didn't know. Maybe he was cheating. Maybe if she paced over there, she could catch him in the act.

"Damn, he's declaring another home run!" Mr Joestar said.

"Let's see... hehe, an outside pitch? Or maybe you're going to aim low? Or something in the vein of a fastball?" D'Arby said, looking up from the screen, and directly at Jotaro. Sana decided to carry out her plan. If he got defensive of her being over there, then that was it, he was cheating, or something. But if not...

Jotaro pitched. D'Arby got a home run. Sana paced over there. Jotaro pitched. D'Arby got another home run. There was no foul play. He didn't even notice that Sana was there. He was too intent on asking Jotaro those questions, those incessant, insufferable questions.

"At this rate, I'll be in the lead in no time," D'Arby smiled. "Now, what's next? An inside pitch, a fastball, a high pitch or even a curveball? What's up your sleeve?"

Jotaro silently took off his hat and placed it on top of the TV. He was methodical about it, and seemed completely calm, but there was no reason for him to have done it. No reason that he mentioned, anyway...

"Your hat," Mr Joestar said.

"You idiot. Do you honestly take me for a cheat like my ne'er-do-well brother?" D'Arby asked, clearly frustrated.

"Jotaro, you've got it wrong, hiding your face is useless! I don't know what he's doing, but he's not watching the reflection of the screen in your eyes," Mr Joestar said. "I know that it's hard not to go there now, but there's no way he can see what button you're pressing or what you're choosing. Trust me, I've been watching him this entire time, there's something else going on here!"