Chapter Sixteen: Friday, December 16

Sana stepped closer to Anne as Jotaro and Polnareff went over to check out the car. Mr Joestar was busy interrogating the bartender guy. "Hey! Tell me something. Who's the owner of that car parked over there? Come on, spill it!"

The bartender seemed terrified and confused. "I'm not sure, sir. To be honest, sir, I didn't even notice it was there!"

Sana frowned. This was getting worse by the minute. They had to find the driver of that car.

"The driver isn't just going to come out and announce it," Noriaki pointed out as Jotaro and Polnareff walked back over. Evidently, there had been nobody in there at all. So it was one of the customers that Sana had completely discounted. Maybe their arms were similar...

"He's messing with us!" Polnareff said.

"Yeah. I guess that only gives us one option, right, Jotaro?" Mr Joestar frowned, and looked at his grandson. Jotaro nodded.

"Yeah. Poor innocent bastards. We'll just have to beat them all down."

It made sense, but... seriously..? Couldn't Jotaro just try that cigarette trick again? That would just be the easier, less violent option...

But it was too late to even bring that one up, because Mr Joestar and Jotaro had already started beating up the guys casually sitting at tables. Polnareff joined in. Sana regarded them, and didn't even know what to think. Of course this was how their day was going.

"Hey, Jotaro, this is crazy!" Noriaki protested. "Mr Joestar, not you too!"

"Yeah, come on, is there nothing else to be done?" Sana asked, but she knew it was probably pointless to even try and stop them now. It was too late to avoid most injuries, anyway.

They didn't stop beating the poor guys up, and Sana just crossed her arms. "You know, Noriaki, sometimes I think we're the only sane ones here."

Noriaki sighed. "I think you're right."

"Anne, don't look," Sana said. "This is pretty bad."

"I'm fine," Anne protested, but Sana noted that she stared at the floorboards anyway.

Sana just watched. There was nothing else to do. No matter how strong the three of them were, they still hadn't gotten any kind of result, beyond splattering blood everywhere. Sana sighed. Maybe she should just-

Then the car revved to life behind them. Sana turned around. She hadn't just misheard. That was the car. It quickly sped out from its place under the tree.

So that was it, Sana thought. Over, just like that. Damn. When had the driver even gotten back to the car? Sana hadn't seen anything, and judging by Noriaki's stunned face, he hadn't, either.

"That slippery bastard just played the lot of us, didn't he?" Polnareff said. Sana looked back. Polnareff stood still, holding someone by the collar, one fist still raised and ready to strike.

"Damn it," Mr Joestar said. "Did anyone see his face?" Mr Joestar asked, from much the same position as Polnareff.

"I didn't see anyone," Sana said.

"No. What is he trying to do?" Noriaki asked. "He could just be some madman with a car, or he could be trying to kill us."

And that was the predicament. Did they have to be on guard constantly, or only when the car was around? Something about this was off, but there wasn't much to be done. They still had to keep travelling, with or without the insane driver around them.

Polnareff lowered the guy he was holding, and exhaled angrily. "We need to take care of this crap. I won't rest until I get to the bottom of this! Everyone, get in the car. We're leaving."