Chapter Thirty-Five: Saturday, January 14 - Monday, January 16

Friday passed without another incident, but also without any answers to the building's location. When the next day dawned, Sana was vigilant, not discouraged. Somebody had to know where it was, but as long as it wasn't an enemy, they'd be fine. To be honest, she'd rather ask a million people than get her soul taken again.

Unfortunately, it seemed like Saturday would be no different. Sana glanced around at the group. Polnareff was asking someone on a rooftop if he'd seen the building, and they were all waiting for him. After all, maybe a bird's-eye view of the city was exactly what they needed. Maybe this was it.

Polnareff climbed down and shook his head. Nothing. Again. Although Sana wasn't willing to bet her soul on another game of rock, paper, scissors, the tension was growing heavy, and she felt her mood sink lower and lower as the day progressed.

"Damn," Jotaro said softly, so quiet it was almost inaudible. He, of all people, was all too aware of the time constraint. Sana had noticed him getting more and more tense as the day went on. He spoke less and less, and kept his hat tightly pulled down across his eyes. It wasn't like he was talkative at the best of times, but it was still concerning. The worst part was that there was nothing Sana could do, short of miraculously finding the building, but she knew that was impossible. Instead, she just tried to stay positive and lighten the others' moods, which were falling just as fast as Jotaro's. Of course, Sana wasn't happy, either. Her heart sank lower with each negative response, so by this point, it was probably buried deep within the Earth's crust. Every step was so arduous, and with every question asked, Sana already knew the answer with a heavy certainty. Nonetheless, she was trying.

"Hold on. I need to make a phone call," Mr Joestar said. Sana nodded, and waited with the others. His tone was grim, and Sana could see the pain in his eyes. Their time was running out. Up until this point, she hadn't really allowed herself to think too deeply about Ms Kujo, because if she did, she'd never sleep. Ms Kujo's condition would haunt Sana's mind until she drove herself insane. Of course they were doing what they could, but what if it wasn't enough? What if all of this was for nothing, because they were doomed to fail from the start? Sana didn't like to think about how hopeless it all could've been, but now the thought loomed in the back of Sana's mind, and it threatened to take over if she didn't fight to keep it at bay. Ms Kujo had to have time left. They could still do this. It was just one city with an incredibly huge population, and it seemed like they'd have to ask every single person to find it or search every single building, and no doubt there'd be enemies lying in wait for them, because of course there would be, and-

Mr Joestar came back. "I decided to make a phone call to Japan, and my daughter's condition is much worse," Mr Joestar paused, and took a shaky breath. "She's lost virtually all of her strength. At best, she has three or four days left." He turned away, and looked towards the city.

Three or four days. Virtually losing all her strength. Ms Kujo, on the verge of death. Sana forced herself to take a slow, deep breath. Three or four days was all they had left to find the building and kill DIO, along with the remaining enemy Stand users. This couldn't be happening. It hadn't been that long. Ms Kujo was not about to die. She would be fine. By the time the week was over, she'd be up and moving again with the warm smiles and good hugs and light in her eyes. Alive. Okay. Healed, like nothing had ever happened.

Sana blinked back the tears her mindless positivity couldn't stave off. Her facade was failing, and reality slammed in. This was bad on a scale Sana had never dared to think about. With the searching they were doing, the days flew by so fast, but for Ms Kujo, they'd stretch on for an eternity, if every breath was a battle.

"I can almost feel it. It's like DIO's right on top of us," Mr Joestar said quietly. "I'd bet anything that he's hiding somewhere close by, but where could he be, and how can we find him?"