Chapter Thirty-Three: Sunday, January 8

The next day dawned, and Sana felt a lot better. It was partly because she was with people again, but also, she'd slept well, and felt pretty good, lively and energetic. It was nice. The day before, the group had agreed to meet up for breakfast at 8:30, so Sana was outside the hotel at the designated meeting point by 8:25. Slowly, the others trickled down to meet her. Jotaro at 8:27, because his mother taught him well. Mr Avdol at 8:29, who said that Mr Joestar would be down any minute, and Polnareff at 8:32, because he couldn't get his hair to style right. At least, that was what he said. Jotaro didn't look convinced. Sana didn't really care enough to probe. Now all they had to do was wait for Mr Joestar to show up. Once he did, they could go to get their breakfast. It was much later than normal, and Sana was already hungry.

Time passed. Minutes dragged by, one by one, not a single second out of place - but nonetheless, it got to 8:37, and Mr Joestar hadn't come out of the hotel yet. Even Iggy had found his way to the group, but no Mr Joestar. It was a little unnerving.

"Are you sure he said he'd be ready in a minute?" Polnareff asked.

"I'm positive," Mr Avdol said. "He was fine before I left."

"It's 8:37 now," Jotaro said, checking his watch.

Sana shared a look with the others. Of course, if this were just a normal trip, they'd just assume it was some weird problem. Something stupid. But this wasn't just any trip, and they were in DIO's territory.

"So, is it safe to assume something happened to him?" Sana asked, not wanting to immediately assume the worst, but...

"It's possible," Mr Avdol said. "I'll go and check on him."

"It's probably just something dumb, anyway," Polnareff said, digging around in his pocket. Sana assumed it was for gum, or maybe a cigarette.

"I hope so." Mr Avdol retreated inside the hotel, leaving the others outside. Sana mentally echoed his words. Hopefully it was all just some kind of misunderstanding, and the pair would return soon, completely unscathed.

But they didn't. More time passed, and the silent discontent grew stronger. Sana pretended she didn't feel it, and watched some kids playing on the other side of the street. They were playing some game with scandalous drama, or something, but Sana mostly tuned it out. Instead, she was on alert, and when Jotaro spoke, it made her jump.

"They should've been back by now."

"It's been five minutes. Maybe they got waylaid by hotel staff," Polnareff said.

"As long as it's not like Varanasi all over again," Jotaro muttered. "If we've gotta wait for the old man to get the cops off his back again..."

"It'll be fine," Sana said, unable to leave it alone. "They'll be back soon." They all knew that nobody believed it, but nobody said a word about that. Instead, Polnareff pulled out a pack of cigarettes.

"So, do you want a cigarette?"

As it turned out, Jotaro did, but Sana was more surprised that she ended up taking one. She wasn't one for smoking at all, but her hands felt so empty, and she was so tense that she figured trying not to choke would distract her a little. After all, worrying wasn't going to do anything. Mr Avdol probably had it all covered.

"Still, I've gotta wonder," Jotaro surveyed the building. "What's the holdup?"

Polnareff blew a smoke ring before responding. "That's what I'd like to know. Avdol went inside to find him, but he hasn't come back either." There was a pause, and then Polnareff gasped. "Oh no! What if those two snuck off?"

Sana glanced at him. "What..?"

"They're probably having an amazing breakfast as we speak!" Polnareff said, and he sounded so genuinely disappointed, and Sana tried so hard not to choke, but she failed miserably, and started aggressively, helplessly coughing.