Chapter Thirty-Four: January 10, 11, 12 + 13

As usual, when Sana was on a train, the time passed as quickly as the scenery. It seemed like Sana could never get bored of the landscapes rushing past. While the others chatted, Sana stared out of the window and found herself wondering about the contents and history of what she was seeing. Truth be told, it all reminded her of Noriaki a lot. She missed his little comments and insights as they sat together and watched the world go by. It wasn't just that, though. She found her hands feeling too empty without his, and she couldn't see the glint in his eyes whenever he found something funny, and feel the smile spread across her face, because he was amused, and somehow, that was always infectious.

Polnareff's encounter with the woman had started this, Sana knew it. The way they'd looked at each other... It made Sana think about herself. She wondered if she'd been that obvious with Noriaki, or him with her. She just couldn't get it out of her head, and Sana suddenly had this gaping hole in her heart, and instead of it being a sharp pain, it just ached, and grew with time.

She also knew how stupid she was being. It had been exactly four days since she'd last seen Noriaki, but so much had happened in that time that she was heavy with all the things to tell him. Nonetheless, she should be able to survive more than four days without missing him this much. It wasn't debilitating or anything - it wasn't like she was crying, or staring out of the window wistfully, but Noriaki just surfaced in her mind so much, and each time, the ache resurfaced with it. That was just how it was, and Sana figured she was just bored, or something. Had nothing better to think about. But then again... maybe she would call him, when she got the chance.

It was fortunate that the opportunity presented itself at exactly 14:03. The group had just been travelling by train, of course, and had disembarked with an hour until the next train. Mr Joestar had taken them to a café, and Sana had coffee, which she contemplated trying with sugar. She didn't have to, though, because after some conversation and café food, Sana spied the payphones, just waiting for her to walk over and pick one up.

"So, how long do we have until our train?" Sana asked.

"Twenty minutes. Why?" Mr Joestar asked.

Sana suddenly felt like an idiot. "I think I'll make a phone call, if that's okay. I'm only over there," she said, pointing to the phones that were very much in sight. "It's not like I'll get attacked."

"Okay, you get your phone call," Mr Joestar said, a grin spreading across his face. "We'll keep an eye on you. Keep it short, if you can." He said the last part like he knew it wouldn't be. Sana would, obviously, try to keep things short and sweet, but she had twenty minutes, she wanted to spend it to the full. Already, her heart rate was picking up with excitement.

"Thank you," Sana said, trying to contain her enthusiasm. "I'll do my best."

"Sure," Jotaro muttered. Sana pretended she didn't hear him, and tried to walk at a normal pace over to the phones. They were all free. It didn't matter which one she picked. Sana absolutely did not care, so she went for the closest one. All that mattered was that it worked.

Sana hurriedly dialled the number, which she'd gotten from Mr Joestar earlier, and hoped that he'd pick up, that he wasn't getting transferred imminently, or anything. She held the phone up to her ear, and heard absolutely nothing. Silence. She knew she'd put the number in right - she was sure of that, she'd double-checked everything in her mind. Allegedly, the number should take her straight to Noriaki, so... It was the right number, so if it wasn't going through, then-

"Hello, this is Kakyoin Noriaki speaking. May I ask who's calling?"

Sana beamed. If The Sun was active, she knew it would be glowing fiercely, lit from within. She almost felt like it was, she felt so radiant with utter joy because everything was fine and he picked up, and they could finally talk.