057. pete vs. dante

Začít od začátku

"What question?"

"You'll know when he asks you. And you'll say yes." He grins and I lean down, now hugging him, and he wraps his arm around me.

                •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

I stare out the window with watery eyes as we drive down the quiet street. Jonathan's voice keeps replaying in my head like a record. I feel the car stop before I quickly wipe under my eye. I now shove my shaky hands in my hoodie pockets, trying to calm down.

"Watch out!" Clark yells and I feel him wrap his arms around my neck as we go to move.

Martha slams on the brakes and I hold Clark's wrists as the two cars speed by in front of us. One of the cars is spewing familiar green flames from the tailpipe.

"Where are you going?" Martha asks.

"They're gonna kill someone." Clark pulls away and takes off his seatbelt before leaving.

"Clark!" Mom shouts.

"I'll be right back." I head out the car.

"Brianna!"

"Mom, trust me! I'm coming back!" I shut the door and race down the street, trying to follow Clark's tracks if he used his super speed.

I now spot a crowd from a few feet away and I continue running. I head over to it and I get to Clark. I grip his arm and he grips my shoulder. We then turn to see Pete step out of the car before another guy does.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Your reigning king of speed, Pete The Boss Ross!" The man raises Pete's arm into the air and the crowd starts to cheer before a woman kisses his cheek.

What the fuck?

                      •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"Pete, how long have you been doing this?" I enter the garage before crossing my arms.

"I don't know. A couple months." Pete replies.

"How come you didn't tell us about it?" Clark wonders.

"Because I knew you'd wanna ground me and take away my allowance."

"Pete, this isn't a fucking joke. You could really hurt someone." I inquire.

"Bri, I know how to handle these cars. Dante's the best driver in Lowell County. He's taught me everything he knows." Pete tells me.

"Including how to break the law. Street racing is illegal. You could go to jail."

"Not if no one finds out, Agent Brady. You're good at keeping secrets, Bri. You're not gonna tell anybody. Right?"

"I got there a little late to the scene, so I have no authority to testify." I turn and walk off.

                      •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

I pace back and forth on the football field with a pounding heart. My eyes start to fill with tears as I keep thinking about Jonathan. I sharply inhale before I pick up the football. I chuck it forward with a clenched jaw and I watch it spin it mid air.