Phone

Tugging on my hand, he prompted me to speak up. 

My lips were sealed. I can't give this man what he wants, every time we meet he ends up winning!

He tsked in annoyance at my lack of cooperation, but then noticed something. "I see you began my experiment before I did." Pulling on my arm, he traced the bandages with his thumb. "I must say, you do have a knack for keeping things to yourself when you want to." 

I frantically pulled my arm away from his grasp and hid it behind me before shooting daggers into his mask, "Does everything have to be an experiment to you?" 

"If no one is conducting them, then how are we to ever know the true meaning behind this world?" He grumbled, pulling away from my body. "Did you think people just knew things without using their curiosity to experiment with possibilities?"

He had a point. 

A brief moment of silence passed between us as I contemplated my next words.  Finally, I came to a realisation. "If you want to experiment on me, then let me be your partner."

That doesn't mean I was going to allow him to treat me this way. I'll make myself comfortable. Enough for him to trust me, that is.

He scoffed, "Ridiculous. I do not have partners. I have subjects."

"But I know everything about this chip. I can be an asset." 

He paused in thought for a second, pulling his little vial out of his pocket. "you are right about that." fidgeting with the little cylinder object, he continued. "I suppose, to some extent, it wouldn't hurt to have you participate as a laboratory assistant in this experiment."

"Yes, see, I just want to help." Eyes zeroed in on that mysterious vial filled with a blue liquid whilst fingers gripped the desk behind me. It was a lie, I didn't want to help. I just want to go home. But if colluding with this crazy man could lead to just that, I may have to work with him not against him.

Plus, It's a great excuse to put my escape plan into action. It will only be a matter of time before he lets his guard down, I'm sure. Then, not only will I have fixed my chip, but I would have escaped this madman, just to rub it in. To see the look on his face when he realises I used him and not the other way round.

He nodded, seemingly in agreement as his fingers flexed around the glass item. Without a second to waste, he called out to someone behind him with his body still facing mine. "You." 

"Yes, my lord." A meek voice was heard from behind the tall figure, I took a peak over Dottore's shoulder and noticed a rather muscular man in purple standing by the laboratory door.

"Clean up this mess." He once again dropped his vial into his pocket and adjusted his gloves. Just what could be in that vial?

The man bowed his head and got to work cleaning up his comrade's blood from the floor, he removed the corpse and ordered his fellow team members to help him as he did.

"And you." This time, he was addressing me. The smile wasn't present but a look of seriousness crowded his expression, it felt like I was thrown into the deep end of a pool once again.

"Explain to me what this is." He fetched, what looked to be, my phone from his coat pocket and chucked it onto the desk behind me.

Swiftly spinning on my heels, I pulled a face before grabbing my phone and inspecting it for injuries. "Aren't you supposed to be focusing on my chip? What does knowing what this is have anything to do with it."

"Can't a scientist be curious?"

Fair point.

"It's a communication device that allows you to do additional things, such as..." I contemplated my next words carefully, unwilling to provide him with too much information. "play games or I don't know, find out where cats come from."

"Interesting, so to some degree it allows a person to research a specific topic. Like the Akasha Terminal."

"The akasha who now."

He scoffed, that same hint of mockery in his voice chiming clearly as he did, "You have been in Sumeru for some time now yet you still do not know the most basic of information?"

"Well, I never exactly got the chance to explore the place, Dottore." I scoffed back sarcastically.

He took the phone out of my hands and began playing with it. Smile still there, he explained "An Akasha Terminal is an earpiece which allows an individual to research any known topic, as long as you have the clearance to do so. It is powered by the dendro archon and was further developed by the scholars at the Akademiya."

I nodded along, "Informative." Even if I don't know what a dendro archon is, this did give me a lot of info. Maybe I could get an akasha terminal and bring it back to my reality for investigation. "Thank you for explaining so well Dottore." I snatched the phone out of his grasp and continued to speak, despite his look of displeasure. "This is called a phone. It does what your akasha terminals do and more. It also has a code on it so people like you don't get into it."

"Interesting, so if you were to give me this code I would be given full clearance."

"You could say that." But it's not like I'd ever do that.

Suddenly his demeanour changed and I could tell he was scheming something in his head. The cogs spun a golden opportunity for Dottore that I will not allow to happen. 

"Don't even think about torturing me or you can kiss your lab assistant goodbye."

Smirking at my suggestion, he questioned out loud, "Now to torture or to kiss..."

what? "How about neither and we get on with this experiment you really want to do?" I suggested quickly, knuckles white around the mobile.

"How precious." He continued his teasing, placing a curled index finger under my chin and lifting it up.

"of you to think you can tell me when to start my experiment." Then proceeded to grab the phone back again. "or what to do with my hands."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Notes:

Just pretend phones don't exist in Teyvat cause idk fjdksfjdla

Finally on Christmas holiday from uni, so I might be able to upload more often!

Anyway hope you enjoyed, stay tuned for next chapter xx