Burn

I was given a new arm days ago, and in the days that followed, I had given Dottore the silent treatment. It didn't matter what he did or what he said, I was not going to respond. I will never respond.

On the first day of his silent treatment, he explained how to operate the silver-grey arm, I cannot deny that I listened tentatively. It was my new limb, after all, I at least needed to understand how to operate it.

The power button was on the inner part of the forearm, pressing it down for a few seconds allows the structure to light up slowly, showcasing it is now operational. If I wanted to, I could leave the prosthetic on all the time, but apparently, the system can drain the body's needed stamina and cause a heavy toll on the mental state of the user. One thing I wasn't made aware of prior.

Nonetheless, it was going to take me a long time to learn how to control the limb, no matter what I did I struggled to fully grasp things or move the appendage the way I wanted it to move. Not only that, but my pained arm above the elbow is not strong enough to operate the heavy slimline prosthetic. It feels like I need to start working my arms out if I'm going to want to manoeuvre this thing properly. It absolutely does not help that anything above the elbow had been weakened by the loss of bone and muscle.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how Dottore managed to do it. I couldn't feel anything there which was an odd sensation, a terrifying one. But I was able to move it just by thinking, albeit not very well. There must be more to these machines than first thought, or maybe there was more to Dottore. He is an enigma after all.

Dottore had been coming in and out of the large ruin guard and leaving his minions to keep an eye on me, I wasn't entirely sure what he was doing but every night I would see him write notes on scraps of paper before taking his big coat off and forcing me to fall asleep by his side.

It was just another day of silence, he was pulling his coat on and I watched him from my position on the floor, like an empty shell waiting to be picked up and dusted off. Slowly, he crouched down and caressed my head for a few seconds before pulling away and leaving the room. We hadn't spoken in days, I don't think I could muster the courage to say anything now anyway and honestly, I doubt I'd ever get over what happened for me to willingly talk to him anyway.

He briskly walked past the minions standing guard outside the control panel, whispered something to them as he took one last look inside the room and left, continuing his journey out of the large war machine. 

When the coast was clear I slowly pushed myself off the floor so as not to alert the men outside, Alright, let's see what he has been writing about. Heading for the scraps of paper stacked on the control panel and turning my arm on, I reached for the very first crisp piece of paper on the top of the pile and whispered its contents to the walls.

"Subject 21236" These are about me?

Picking up the remaining pile, I moved to sit on the floor beside the panel isles before slowly flicking through each page, skimming through each paragraph until I reached the most recent one.

Findings on Subject 21236

Day 19 - It has been a couple of days of recovery, so far the robotic structure is working without faults and the subjects remaining arm is healing well, however, due to weight conditions, the subject is required to start exercising her arm in order to operate the machinery. I will see to it that she conducts daily rehabilitating exercises.