Akasha

Preparations for the surgery are in place.

Fresh, new scalpels were available as were other laboratory equipment. The chip had been located and the akasha terminal, whether it was the correct one or not, was sanitised and placed beside the many tools to be used for this surgical procedure.

I sanitised my upper thigh and sat myself down on the laboratory tables before lifting my bare leg up to rest my heel against the cool lab isle.

Breathing in and out deliberately and slowly, I placed the clean tip of a scalpel against my thigh and pressed down, hissing at the immediate pain I felt. Blood slowly pooled and seeped from the fresh cut as I allowed the crimson-stained scalpel to glide up my thigh, pulling apart flesh.

Hot pumping blood poured out of the cut immediately and I began to irrigate the area, clearing the site as best as I could. 

I'll save you the details. All you really need to know is some reconstructing was needed and some melding to get the chip to stay in place and connected to the neurons in my nervous system was done.

It fucking hurt, I blacked out at one point.

But it was all necessary.

Once the difficult part was over, I was able to sew myself back up and lie down on the lab isle for a few minutes, heaving in and out from the lasting pain. My body was drenched in sweat and I could tell my legs were too weak to walk around with right now, so I decided then and there that I was going to replenish that lost energy through a nap.

Well, when I say I decided to take nap, I really mean I decided through an uncoordinated blackout that just so happened to time coincidentally well with my need for sleep at that moment.

What felt like eternity may have just been an hour before I finally awoke. I wasn't at all feeling refreshed but at least I was able to think a little bit more clearly now, despite the pounding headache from dehydration and quivering aching legs from, of course, the surgery. 

Which, by the way, went pretty well if I do say so myself.

Honestly, now wasn't even the time to contemplate my physical (or mental) well-being or to embellish my ego. I had to find out if the chip was successfully able to integrate with my body or whether I was going to experience some form of rejection, whether this is through an infection, sudden allergic reaction, spontaneous bleeding that won't stop, or much worse, being unable to get the fuck out of here.

I pushed myself up into a seated position with my sweaty palms, arms shaking fiercely as I did, before bending slightly forward to grab the akasha terminal. Allowing the cool metal to envelop my left ear, I tapped on the green petal-like outer surface and widened my eyes in awe; a soft tune played from the device as it turned on and lit up an array of options for me to select. 

Eyes hovering over each selection, I attuned my focus on a particular option 'Article 11: Forbidden Knowledge Capsules Penalisation Code'. Clearly, this device had been used by Dottore, considering how unrestricted the access was. But to think he would be looking up illegal data punishments? Why?

Did this have something to do with Aether and how he already had something planned to 'keep him busy' a while back?

As I began to ponder the thought, my zoned-in eyes on the option caused the text to expand and converge into nothingness, before a light voice rang in my ear. 

"You have selected Article 11: Forbidden Knowledge Capsules Penalisation Code." 

I jolted at the sudden clear voice, almost forgetting about the pain I was in.

The device went on to explaining the premises of this code in great detail, I adjusted my pose all the while, feeling rather uncomfortable resting against my shaky arms and instead, opted for lying down again. 

When the device was done, I let out a huff of air. "Amazing. The AI in Sumeru is not so different from my world."

"I'm sorry, please repeat your question so I may adequately assist you."

Sumeru basically has an Alexa in their ears.

Then a thought occurred, if this was tampered with by Dottore, maybe I could command it to provide me with access to the transportation device's information.

"How do I connect my transportation chip?" I asked, slowly, awkwardly. 

"I'm sorry, please repeat your question so I may adequately assist you."

"Information on Subject 21236?" I tried again, with another question.

"I'm sorry, please repeat your question so I may adequately assist you."

Maybe this wasn't the right terminal. 

"Transportation device set up."

 I feel so dumb doing this, but there's no other way.

The device repeated those 12 words once more, letting the crinkly background noise fade in and out as it spoke eloquently into my ear.

Fuck. Then where is the actual terminal for this chip?

Did Dottore lie in his journal?

That wouldn't make sense. Why would he lie, unless he knew I was reading it.

But even then, all those updates were accurate, they were all true. So lying about one specific ingredient in his experimental concoction wouldn't make sense, right?

There really is no telling what his true intentions are. I'm just going to have to wait a tiny bit longer, find out where that terminal is and then finally get back to the world I belong in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Notes

It's been a minute, I've been busy with uni cause they decided to fuck it up with extra work :')

Also my interest in Valorant has become a full-blown addiction uh help

like I'm trash at it but i cant s t o p